Am I the only one with a LATE walker???!!!!

I feel like my child is slow or something! People make me feel so bad when I tell them my 14 month old son isn't walking yet. He's completely normal developmentally, but he just doesn't seem interested in walking. It's almost making me depressed because I work with him every single day. People say it reflects badly on me, and then they tell me all about how their babies walked at like 9 months or something. I feel like a failure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my oldest didn't walk until about 16 months. it wasn't a development thing, it was a stubborn kid. lol she didn't walk until she was darn good and ready.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Your baby will walk when he is ready to. Don't rush it. You are not a failure either.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You aren't a failure he is stubborn. One thing to keep in mind if you carry him everywhere and keep helping him walk he won't do it because he wants you to do it. Out stubborn him. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my daughter didn't walk until 15-16 months and I tried everyday to get her to....she just did it when she wanted....
    It seems as though my twin boys are doing the same thing....they're going to be 14 months and still aren't walking, but they are taking 1 step and falling...so at least they're trying!
    Don't be discouraged! Every baby and his/her own pace...there's nothing wrong with it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• People are low for telling you it's your fault. My youngest didn't walk til 17 months - not for lack of trying, but because we pushed and pushed and pushed him some more and he just plain didn't want to. He did it when he was ready, and so will your little one. 14 months is NOT a late walker, and you are NOT a failure!
    Anonymous

• My oldest daughter didn't walk until she was a year old and she is advanced in class. My youngest didn't walk until she was a good 14 or so months old and she actually ended up having inner ear problems and not to mention her LAZY little butt! lol. She is almost three and hates to wake up in the morning right now, lol. He may just be interested in other things, hwo can blame him with so much to see and learn about in this world?
    You aren't a bad mom. Don't let them talk to you like that. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my daughters 14 months...she dont walk yet either, kids learn at their own pace!
    muthrof_2

Answer by muthrof_2 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My little one didnt walk until she was almost 18 months old. She could form sentences but refused to walk. She even figured out how to carry her sippy cup while crawling but still now walking. And no i didnt spoil her by carrying her everywhere. she just wasnt interested in walking till she figured out what the park was!! then oh man she wanted to walk everywhere!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I felt the same way when my friend's baby started walking at 10 months, and mine showed no desire to do the same... He didn't start walking till he was about 14 months old, but now (at 18 months) he outruns my friend's kid. You're not doing anything wrong, and there's nothing wrong with your baby. They just all walk on their own time, that's all...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'm really relieved to see this question acutally. My DD is 18 mos old and will walk with assistance and like everything else seems to have the ability to do certain things but is not emotionally ready. I've had comments and pure shock from people since she was 10 mos old. I'm like, really, are you a doctor?? My Dr. says there is nothing wrong with her development and if there was would it be appopriate for someone else to comment on it? Your LO will walk shen she's ready and unless your MD has a problem with it, I wouldn't worry. Babies don't always follow specific guidelines.
    Anonymous