Everytime I interact with my SIL, it FEELS like a slap in the face..

I do not think I am over sensitive, I think she is a Bee-otch.
She asked me about the baby and I told her that she was a "sassy little thing and that I would have my hands full!"
She responds with: "Oh My, well at least your focus is only on her, and I am sure she LOVES it that way"
Implying that I am neglecting her brother.... ARRRRGGGH!
Do you have a person like this who always hands you "back-handed" statements and if so how do you deal with them??

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 4:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• does your husband see this treatment, do you tell him? because as its his sis, he needs to address it with her. trust me I have tried and tried with all my inlaws and they only ever knock it off when my SO says it. its like if he doesnt speak up they see it as a green light to be asses to me, and thats prolly the same there too. she sounds like a jerk and what I have started doing is this...
    ex: FIL comes over to my freshly cleaned home and comments we dont take cery good care of it. I walked right up to him and said"who told you its ok to insult peoples homes?" he stood there in shock and I continued with" wow I am amazed that you can say things like that and NOT know how ignorant you are and sound"...he hasnt madea neg comment to me since and it was a month ago. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I get smart right back.
    Anonymous

• My MIL is backhanded and aggravating I hate being around her she always makes rude comments like that I know how you feel.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yep! I wonder if all in laws are created equal? lol My sis in law and my mother in law are like this. Esp, my sis in law. She likes to pretend her child is an angel and mine are out of control (it's really the other way around)...but do I say rude things? no! lol
    I wouldn't even give her an inch to play with....like if she had asked you, then just say, everything's going great lol...and change the subject! lol
    Anonymous

• My BIL does this, mostly because his kid is a terror and doesn't listen to them at all. They have well managed money. My sister works her a$$ off and so does he while I am a SAHM and my husband was just laid off. Seems like they think that we are lazy because we CHOSE to spend time with our boys. Here is an example: I am 8 1/2 months pregnant (this baby is 18 months old now!) and my oldest two are being a handful, not being bad just ornery to each other and I tell them to settle down because I didn't want them to rile up the dog. I am tired and HOT (it's July) and the air conditioner was NOT turned on...miserable. So my boys are in the process of settling down (they are 6 and 4...and BOYS :) ) and he has the audacity to say " OH how in the world are you going to make it with THREE boys, if you can't even handle two?" To which I replied, "How about you worry about your naughty ONE" and walked away. I was so mad.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I basically have no relationship with my MIL, but my friend's MIL and SIL are horrible. My friend was riding with them and they started talking about one of my friend's husband's previous girlfriends. They actually started talking about how he should have married this other woman. This was after my friend had been married for at least 5 years.

I hope I don't ever do anything like that my children's spouses someday.
    Anonymous

• SILs like that I just avoid talk to her but shes not allowed over at our house any more so its really easy to avoid her.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 6:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2010