Successful weight loss while breastfeeding

I have not lost much weight since I had my baby girl six months ago. I have been told since I am breastfeeding it would be best to wait until I stop before I try to lose weight. But I feel miserable about my body. Can anyone help??

ScentsyMommie

Asked by ScentsyMommie at 5:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I was the same way. One thing that really helped me when I was on WW and nursing was that they tell you to get 3 low fat dairy servings a day (normally I wasn't having any) and something like 5-8 servings of vegetables and fruits. And lots of water! Just those three things alone made the difference for me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• That is actually wrong, breastfeeding uses more calories, and if you eat a sensible diet and exercise while Bf you are more likely to lose weight because BF is helping you burn calories.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Weight Watchers has a program for breastfeeding mothers. When I was nursing my first, I used WW to lose 45 pounds in about 5 months. I started when my baby was 8 months old and it came off so easily! It was awesome.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes, I was going to say the same as juliejacobkyle...I use weight watchers online and in my profile indicated that I am breastfeeding, which calculated the correct amount of points for me, I think bfing moms get about 5 extra points a day.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I have a better diet now than I did before I got pregnant. Thus the question. I don't drink sodas, I don't snack, I don't eat fast food. So for me to not be losing weight doesn't make sense.
    Weight Watchers I will definetly look into!
    ScentsyMommie

Answer by ScentsyMommie at 5:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2010