how do you discipline your child when he/she doesn't listen?

Me and my 7 year old son are having problems right now. He doesn't listen to me and that really upsets me and to tell you the truth not like him at times. I have a problem yelling and cussing at him when he doesn't listen. It hurts his feelings when I do that. My friends and family all believe in spanking a child but I just cant do that. If I did he would probably just laugh at me because it would be more of a love tap or his feelings would get hurt. He really hurts me because he doesnt listen. I just want to be the best parent I can be ....any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• take away things he loves the most for a while.
    When my 6 year old does not want to listen to me I will take away his Xbox or ground him from playing outside.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 5:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I wish I knew the answer to this. I am dealing with this with my 7 yr old sd. She refuses to listen and I end up repeating several times. I have spanked when I have to repeat the third time. I have taken things away. Nothing works with her. Her mom who sees her every few weekends says that when she is punishing her it does not phase her either. She will cry about it for 10 seconds and go right own about her business lying and showing outright disrespect and being mean to everyone around. If you figure out what to do let me know/ But I can tell you for me spanking does not work, nor does yelling, time out, no toys or tv., best of luck
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You have to learn how to control your yelling and cursing. A hurt child will act out.

Also, follow through with consequences. If he does something he knows he isn't supposed to do, follow through with the punishment. Take away something he loves (games, toys, time with friends...whatever) for a given amount of time. This works for most children.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You need to calm yourself, and then when he doesn't listen he loses his things and his freedoms all the way until he only has a bed to sleep in and can only read, and do homework in his free time, always follow through with consequences for his actions so he will take you serious no need to yell or speak just take stuff away, he will get it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• First of all, do you make idle threats? For example, do you say "if you don't do what I tell you, then XYZ" but don't follow through? If so, he knows that you don't mean it so why should he listen? (that's from a kid's POV, not mine). You need to tell him that he has to do what you say the first time you say or something is going to be taken away. With our 8 yo son, that's either basketball or video games. It only takes a few times for the kid to understand that I mean what I say and I say what I mean. You have to be consistent, no matter how hard it is. Honestly, many punishments are as bad or worse for the parent as they are for the kid, but that's part of parenting. If you give in once, it will take months of consistency to make the child understand that your word is law.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2010