my son turns 3 on june 26th.....how can i make him potty train, when he keeps refusing? need help!

i'm pregnant with my second( 19 weeks & 3 days ) dont want to buy diapers if i dont have to for him, he's too dang old. lol i really need advice.

bekahbaby35

Asked by bekahbaby35 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried just putting him in under wear? Also don't push it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If he isn't ready he won't do it, what you need to do is leave it alone for a month then try it again. Usually at 3 they train much quicker so just let him control the when.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• well, what have you tried?
    does he have his own potty?
    have you tried a sticker chart?
    have you tried an immediate reward like dollar store toys?
    what about reminding him every 2 hours or so that it's time to go sit on the potty?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• well, ur not going to MAKE him do anything he doesnt want to do. i suggest positive reinforcement... i will give this warning tho. even if he does potty train before the baby comes, there is a big change he will revert back to diapers. my oldest did that. several of the kids i babysit from church also reverted when their little sibling was born. so stressing urself out now may not be the best idea. let him get comfortable with the potty. and encourage him to go, but dont try to force him into it. thats my only advice. i hope it works
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yes i have tried underware. he peed through them & i spanked him. i felt bad.... just nothing seems to be working. he cries when i force him on the toilet. he hides when he poops. & when i ask him to poop on the potty he screams no!
    bekahbaby35

Answer by bekahbaby35 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• do not spank your child for having an accident**!! He is not ready! You can not make a child be ready before they are! And you pushing (and spanking for accidents) will ultimately make the situation worse

*disclaimer- my kids have been spanked and I am sure will be again so as a spanking mother even I know THAT is wrong!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Spanking shouldn't be part of potty training.
    Your child is clearly not ready to potty train.
    Is there some thing he REALLY wants? The first child I potty trained was my nephew. He really wanted to go to the zoo. I told him I couldn't take him to the zoo in his diapers and change his diapers all day. We went to the store, picked out some cartoon underwear of his choice, and came home and began potty training. He was done in a week. Two weeks later we were at the zoo.
    Anonymous

• Well no shit he is not potty trained!!! Look at how you are going about it!!!
    FORCING, SPANKING, YELLNG?????
    You have got to be out of your mind if you think this is an effective way of teaching him to use the potty!
    Why don't you try to be positive? Give rewards. Compliment him. Tell him he is good. As of now you are just making him feel like he is a bad person because he isn't doing what you want him to. Maybe he is not ready yet. Did that occur to you??
    Most boys take longer to potty train. My son's pediatrician said to not even start to consider potty training until children are 3 (unless of course they show clear signs they are ready and WANT to).
    Please do something to help yourself and your son. Read. Get some parenting books and read them. Spanking because of an accident is SOOOOO wrong on so many different levels.
    Anonymous