How did you and your husband decide to be parents? Did you talk about it or was it just 'the next step'?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 5:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well, my husband was already a parent so when i fell in love with him i didn't have much choice but to be a parent too. lol (DS2 is my stepson)
    but with DS1 (who is legally my brother and biologically my 2nd cousin) we had actually talked it out long before the death of my mother. of course, i had no idea she was going to die. But i was fairly certain that at some point she would no longer be able to talk care of him.

we are planning for my first, his second and our third (lol. that doesn't make any sense, but it's true!) as soon as we are able to live together. He's stationed in Germany and i'm waiting for the completion of the adoption before we can move.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We talked about it while dating and before getting married, we always wanted kids, and our first one was a wonderful surprise, and this one was planned.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We went on our honeymoon and I said, lets not use condoms and let whatever happens, happen. It did! Our oldest was born nine months and 1 day later. :p
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We talked about it before we got married. We both knew that at some point we wanted a family. We also decided to not have children right away. We wanted to make sure the marriage was going to last. After three years we found that we enjoyed just being the two of us so much that if we ever wanted children that we should be having them. Of course we can't imagine life without them now.

Answer by Bmat at 5:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• we actually dated for 11 year before getting pregnant.. I was 18 when we met and didn't want kids, he was 24 and wanted kids. we dated and went through up and downs and moved in together eventually bought a house, then 6 years later I was pregnant. We wanted to make sure we both had time and were as best financially set up to have a baby.. of course the money isn't the best for us but we figure out how to make it work and are able to give our son the best we can, but it was never a next step talk.. just knew we wanted to have a child together and were grown and past the partying stage and WANTED to be parents,
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I have a daughter and my husband and I have been together for 6 years now. We talked about kids early on and decided not to because I didn't want any more. He was fine with that. But recently he sprang it on me he wants a baby. He said he loves our family but wants to have another child. I love him, so I have been thinking about his feelings about this and have come around to liking the idea of having another baby. I don't want to impulsively just start trying, so do we talk more about it or what? This is all so new to me.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 5:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We talked about it before getting married and I knew I would want to start soon after we were married, he felt the same way. One night we discussed when we would start and decided to wait until a year after we were married. Well.......there was a whoops about a month later while we were still engaged lol and now I have my amazing son, instead we got married a year later LMAO. We joke about it all the time and DH takes responsibility, says he just couldnt wait lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• When I met my husband I already had a daughter from a previous relationship so when we got together he just took the role of dad right away. We talked about wanting more children but it wasnt a big deal, if it happend it happend. It did happen and now we have 2 beautiful boys together
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 6:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We talked about having kids early in our relationship, we planned on getting married first! Our daughter was a planned surprise you could say! We weren't preventing pregnancy so it just happend! We got married when I was 2 month pregnant and I wouldn't change anything about the situation! Our son was also a surprise!
    kristie1029

Answer by kristie1029 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Well we actually talked about it a lot but didn't come to any definite decision. We never used bc but he always pulled out. We knew we both wanted to have kids. Just that we wasn't sure we were financially ready. Which looking back, we wasn't. But we did make do. I begged him one time not to pull out and he didn't. I guess that was the deciding moment! lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2010