bird parrot?

this is a serious question.
the last few days I have noticed my parrot sitting on the bottom of the cage and he keeps taking his feet and swiping at something. So today I just happen to notice his anus was swollen and looks like it is coming out. does anyone know what this may be? I am calling the vet tomorrow, just wondering what this is going to cost us, or is it fixable? he is 10 years old

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It sounds like the vent is either infected, starting to prolapse, or both. Your bird is a little old for eggs the first time, though it's possible. How much it will cost depends a LOT on the vet. Chances are, you'll have to pay for the office visit, an exam, antibiotics, and a possibly culture or bloodwork. I'd guess up to a couple hundred dollars.

If it is a stuck egg, you'll likely just pay for the office visit and they'll let you know what do do with her. They can die of egg-binding though, so if that's what it is, you'll want to work on her diet (especially calcium) to keep it from happening again.

Also, if it's an infection, this could be diet-related too. Without adequate nutrition, their immune system is weakened putting them at risk. Get your bird LOTS of safe fruits and veggies EVERY DAY, and add pellets to the diet too. Sometimes it takes them a while to accept diet changes, but BE PATIENT and just keep offering!
    BirdMommyC

Answer by BirdMommyC at 7:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The only time I've ever seen anything like that was when mine was laying eggs. She cleared the feathers from her vent and it became very swollen.

Do you happen to have two parrots in the same cage and not have them sexed?
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• what kind of parrot is he?
    I hope he's OK! good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• a bird can lay eggs without a male- they just won't be fertile.
    Anonymous

• vet tomorrow at 8:10. BirdMommy great answer!!! As far as a egg, we had the bird for 10 yrs. and NO eggs ever and no other birds have ever been around him.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010