I asked this q in my group, but no answer: Garlic and breastfeeding???

I have heard that eating garlic can reduce bm production. Is this true? I have avoided things with garlic in them for this reason, but I feel silly avoiding some foods not knowing if it's true or not. Please let me know!

jean_marie1987

Asked by jean_marie1987 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I eat a fair amount of garlic and have never had a problem.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 7:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The only thing I can offer is personal experience. I did not limit my garlic because I have never heard of this before, and I never had a supply problem. If it were to reduce supply, it probably would not be permanent so you could easily do an experiment. Just have a little garlic bread and see what happens. Honestly, I really don't think it's true though. I am Italian, and we use a LOT of garlic in our cooking. I nursed for 13 months, and I really never had a problem.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I ate garlic throughout and never had a supply problem either. Just think about ladies in Italy, they breastfeed their babies.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I don't think so. I've nursed 3 children, eat a lot of garlic, and always had a ton of milk.
    Anonymous

• Garlic didn't affect my production either. But I did notice that after I ate a fair amount of anything with garlic baby would be a little on the gassy side, and didn't want to nurse as easily either - it affected the taste of my milk I assume, and gave them a bit of a tummy ache!
    Anonymous

• Thanks!
    jean_marie1987

Answer by jean_marie1987 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010