vegtables and gagging

Ok my 6 yr old son is quite picky. As a baby he ate everything and at 1 as we added more table food he would literally eat it then gag and throw up. The pediatrican actually had me keep him on baby food a little longer till he adpted to reg food. Well by 4 he was not as picky but vegetables have always been a struggle. I use to do the no veggi no desert but he hates them so bad he doesn't care about that. Well I am trying to get more veggi in him and literally making him eat a very sm amt and he gags and throws up. I am not sure if he is making himself do this or is really getting sick!? I am not one to overly force my kids to eat because that was done to me BUT he needs more veggi!! He eats fruit well but hates his veggi. My girls eat veggi pretty well its just him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you need to be hiding them in your recipes then
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I would not buy the whole throwing up thing. I think he has found something that pulls at your heart strings and is working it. encourage him to take smaller bites. to wash it down with water. etc. try giving him his veggies first and he can finish the rest of his food when his veggies are gone.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Oh no mommy he's making himself do that. Not so much as "sticking a finger down his throat".. but he's not allowing the process to complete itself. He's more focused on the taste and how much he really DOES NOT want to swallow it.

Ds used to do that. He went for 3 weeks(stubborn) without any deserts.... He caved in and ate the vegetables. He now eats diced tomatoes and cumber slices pretty often

Good luck mommy
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• OP here...I am thinking it is him but its so wierd!
    Anonymous

• He's doing it on purpose. You think that's bad? DH's nephew just turned 14 and will force himself to gag if he has to eat something he doesn't like. He's the most spoiled kid when it comes to everything, and has always been babied when it comes to food. No one dares give him heck about it because of his mother - FIL chewed him out one time for something and mommy babied him so bad afterwards. Somehow, some way, you need to get through his head that he's full of baloney and you're on to him. If he's like this now with veggies, it'll escalate into bigger things later in life. If he throws up? Make him clean it up himself, then sit back down and eat those veggies! Try serving them in different ways, with sauces & dips, etc. Hide them if you must, but still give him regular veggies. Grow a small garden together - let him pick seeds for things that look good, help plant, water, pick, and prepare - then eat!
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but it may not be him!!! I have a horrible gag reflex that is triggered by over cooked vegatables. I eat salads, raw carrots, raw celery, corn, and some other vegatables, BUT they have to be under cooked not smushy over cooked veggies.

So, it may not be something he can control.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It probably isn't him. There is a certain enzyme that some people react to by gagging. This enzyme is found in a lot of vegetables. My DH has this reaction. It does have some to do with focusing on how awful and gross it tastes and you can overcome it. It's not all him though. I would find the cookbook by Seinfield's wife....I think the name of it is Deceptively Delicious. My DH has no clue that I put pureed veggies in with my stuff. It's because I cook and puree them during the day and put them in without him even knowing. Good luck! If nothing else, you can also have him drink a PediSure a day. It's not near as good as the real veggies but at least you'll have the peace that he is getting what he needs nutritionally.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Give him V8 fruit juices (Splash) that have veggies mixed in with them. Mix in smushed steamed cauliflower with mashed potatoes. Make pureed soups that have veggies mixed in. There are "veggie crackers" or something like that by keebler. Add pureed veggies to spaghetti sauce. Tomato soup with grilled cheese. Broccoli with cheese sauce. Try serving them fresh with dips. Try mixing mixed veggies with mac and cheese if he eats it.
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain and my son is three but does this with ALL food. He had some medical issues and is plain fearful of food. Now it has become a behavior. Since he eats most everything but veggies....I wouldn't force the issue. You can puree some vegetables that are bland and put them in things like milk shakes, pizza sauce, or waffles. Just hide them. Then continue to offer him the veggies on his plate. I buy organic juices that have both fruit and vegetable in them. V8 has too high of fructose corn syrup for my tastes. Carrot juice is also good mixed with apple. Yogurts make a great base to blend in vegetables. The key is to not over kill so you can taste. Put spinach in your pizza's too. The gag and vomit is a reflex he can (most likely) do and knows the reaction he will get. Don't force feed or argue. That can cause potential eating disorders down the road. Just offer and cut out most snacks.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Has he been evaluated for sensory issues?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2010