I'm looking into buying a high-end large saute pan, do you have any tips for finding the best quality?

Right now I'm checking out the Bigtray website, its for restaurants. I make primavera, bolongnese and I'm always sauteing chicken. I want one that will last a lifetime. Whats the difference between induction pan and induction ready? Whats the best material? I figure some of you must have a favorite go-to saute pan.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 7:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Stainless steel
    Anonymous

• Rachel rays brand is excellent!!
    Anonymous

• I love my stainless steel Princess House pans...I'm not positive what you mean by a saute pan but I have a chef's pan which is a little wider and not as deep as some pans...they're induction, not sure what induction-ready is either, lol, but I absolutely love these. Prices are kind of high but they are so worth it!
    Anonymous

• The heavier the better. Stainless steel Teflon with dark coating n the inside. I recommend Martha Stewart brand...I love mine, use i for everything.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• All Clad is the home cook's brand that is most like what is used in culinary schools.

Stainless steel is a great material for durability and non-leaching safety. Unfortunately, stainless doesn't heat as evenly as aluminum, copper, or silver. Pure stainless can have hot spots in the pan-- you'll get uneven browning or burning.

Very expensive high quality cook wear is often stainless with a copper core. Copper is a great conductor-- that's why it is in electrical wiring. All Clad has aluminum core stainless-- more affordable.

Any pan that is 18/10 stainless with an aluminum core is going to rock. Since the core is locked between layers of stainless, no need to worry about metals leaching. There are plenty of commercial cookware makers who make these pans. I'd avoid the brushed finish on the outside-- if you have a boil over they are annoying to clean.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• 15 years ago my mom got me pans from pamperd chef, heavy on the bottom stainless steel w/ teflon coating. To this day they look brand new. The have the hig sides and wide bottoms perfect for frying and sauteing
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• listen to ecodani- restaurant supply is good but it is hard to cook in those big pans on a hosehold size stove_ I should know.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the different brands and materials....I have a lot to look at. I don't want to spend the money until I know exactly what I'm spending it on.  I consider cookware an investment.  I'm starting with the aluminum core SS..thanks eco.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2010