Spinoff... If you believe a father should have the right to stop an abortion...?

We can all agree breastfeeding is best, what if he decides his baby should be breastfed? Should he be able to take her to court to make sure she breastfeeds too?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 7:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• How can we prove paternity? If a man insists he's the father and the mother insists otherwise in order to get the abortion she wants... how are we going to establish his parentage? An amnio could maybe be done if she was far enough along, but that carries a high miscarriage risk before 16 weeks, and it wouldn't be okay to insist that a woman have an amnio and pay for it (it's NOT a cheap procedure), AND carry a baby she doesn't want for 4 months so that a man who may or may not be the father to get his way. Also, what about cases where the father is unknown or unreachable? And how are we going to regulate women who are requesting abortions for unreported rapes? By the time she knows she's pregnant from being raped she will not show signs of having been raped.

Ideally I would like dads to have a say in the decision, but it's just not enforceable as law. It should be moral code, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Here's another question for those who believe a father should have rights over a woman's uterus...

If we allow men to keep women FROM aborting, can we allow them to MAKE her abort too?
    Anonymous

• Lets start here uterine rights were surrendered at the time of intercourse as far as I'm concerned

So unless it was un-consentual sex---I think a father should have the right to his child if Mom does not want him or her..

No the Mother should NOT have to breast feed--breastfeeding is a selfless deed-- that is a total giving of yourself for another and if this is an unwanted child by its Mom then after birth she should be allowed to completely walk away-no strings she' done her job-- if the father is breast milk intent there are PLENTY of breast milk banks where he can get free breast milk for his baby...

on the flip side of that I do think Fathers should be allowed to demand breastfeeding by their mate in a mutually wanted infant of course it should have been discussed before hand
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It might be his sperm. But it is still a women's body.   he can try. Does not mean he will get it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• CONT

Also, choosing to formula feed and not breastfeed is MUCH less likely to cause a baby's death than an abortion. No, men should not be able to force breastfeeding, nor should anyone else, though ideally, again, men would have a say in it and more women woudl breastfeed to begin with.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• give a man the right to say a woman can't have a abortion, figure you would also give him the right to say that she has to as well!
    Anonymous

• this question has been posted so many times.....
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is not life and death. Why don't we teach MORALS. Sex causes babies SIMPLE AS THAT. Wait until marriage, know who you are marrying, discuss babies and boobies BEFORE you commit to someone you can't agree with. Geez.
    Anonymous

• The baby won't die if the mother doesn't breastfeed. I personally don't think abortion should be legal, so a woman who does not want to parent could allow the father to raise the child. It's fine to want to herald your individual rights to control your uterus, as long as you're not ending someone else's life in the process. Imagine the baby standing with a sign that says, "I want to live, please, Mommy!"
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Maybe people should start keeping their pants up. I am sorry but if people stopped having sex outside marriage this wouldn't be a huge deal. IF people stopped cheating it wouldn't be a huge deal. But these days women have no respect for themselves. They think sex is just a whatever thing. It's fun so I'll do it. Maybe people should start WAITING til they are ready for the repercussions from it. Instead of saying oh I am not ready so I am going to have an abortion.

Anonymous