Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some careers that involve working with children?

I wanted to be a teacher but once I got halfway through the education program, I knew that being an elementary school teacher was not for me. I couldn't handle all of the "teaching to the tests" they do, and I disagree with half of the "No child left behind" laws and rules. I still would like to work with children though. I am a preschool teacher right now. I enjoy my job, but I only make minimum wage. Any suggestions or ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Nurse, pediatrician, dental hygienist, police officer, social worker....many careers can specialize in kids.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • Other than teaching and daycare, you could try being a Nanny. Out here Nannies make pretty decent money. There is also the medical pediatric field, summer camps, dance class instructor, etc.

    I teach and disagree with NCLB on so many levels as well. I still LOVE my career though.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • How about some kind of therapy? Physical therapy for children, speech therapy? nursing- pediatric nurse. or a nurse in pediatrician's office?

    Answer by Bmat at 7:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • Librarian (working in the children's department, of course), any of the medical field (again, specializing in children). Montessori teacher. Some friends of ours own a couple of Kumon Centers that they teach at. Social Worker. Child Psychologist.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • pediatriacian, physical therepy ,speech theapy, Social Worker. They are all very rewarding jobs; good luck. :)

    Answer by incarnita at 8:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.