Low progesterone levels.... advice

I lost a baby on Christmas Eve. I was in my second trimester and on progesterone the entire time. After having the nuchol translucency it was determined the baby was very sick with a severe heart defect. I am now pregnant again and just found out (at 5 weeks) my progesterone is again dropping. Has anyone had this happen before? I am so scared that this baby will be unhealthy also. Any advice/input would be appreciated. I am starting the suppositories tonight and praying to God things go well.

Denise074

Asked by Denise074 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was on progesterone with my last pregnancy after several miscarriages. My son is now 19 years old and has had no health problems at all. I call him my "golden child". God Bless you and Good Luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I had low progesterone with this baby. It was about half what it should be at 4 weeks, and by 6 it was where it should be. The suppositories are more effective than the pills (which I was on).

The thing about falling progesterone is that it has two causes. 1 is that it's a symptom of an already failing pregnancy, which means that taking progesterone won't stop a miscarriage. The other is a hormonal imbalance, in which case progesterone may help. Taking progesterone unfortunately won't help save a pregnancy that has problems, but if your pregnancy is healthy you have a good chance of carrying this time.

I know it's so hard. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I wish you the very best. It will happen for you! It's hard to not worry about this stuff, but do your best to relax and enjoy what you have for as long as you have it, even if it's only until tomorrow, (and remember those words when you're 41 weeks lol).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I pray for you momma! I have never had a miscarriage and never had trouble getting pregnant but I feel such sympathy for those that do. Good luck and God bless! You're a strong woman!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Ask your doctor for the weekly shot. Suppositories are messy and most of it leaks out. At least that was my experience with them. So my doctor put me on the injections. That eased my mind because I had to go to the office every week so I was always checked. Always measured, did the heart doppler, and addressed any other concerns I had.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I was having a very hard time getting pregnant. we tried for 3 years and come to find out the problem was my progesterone levels. they put me on progesterone and i got preg that month! and i stayed on it through my first trimester! Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. God Bless all of you and your chldren. Thanks again!! I will keep everyone posted.
    Denise074

Answer by Denise074 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I know that this is a late response but I just wanted to let you know my experience. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and maybe a second. I have polycystic ovary syndrome and because of this they say that miscarriage sometimes happens more because of hormone imbalances. Well for my daughter we did progesterone for the first trimester and she was full term and healthy, for this pregnancy the same thing (so far). Generally they only use it for the first trimester because the placenta takes over the production of progesterone at that time. I agree with a PP that it is not a sure thing to prevent losing the baby, especially if there are other problems. I took the suppository (which is better). A tip, I used a small cheapie tampon to get the thing up there so it would get farther and not be messy. It leaks out the least if you put it up there before going to bed so you are lying down while it does its thing.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 2:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2010