would you worry -- weight question

My daughter had her 18 month appointment today and she has dropped in the percentiles. I know this can happen... she barely gained from her 15 month appointment, which made it a drop from about 50th to 25th. She did have a horrible week of eating about 2 weeks ago when her incisors were coming in at the same time as she had a double ear infection... she would take a bite of food and burst into sobs. Anyway, since she's been over that stuff she's been her usual hungry self. But this drop in the percentiles made her pediatrician look "right" on one thing -- my daughter won't drink milk. She eats yogurt or cheese with every meal, even most snacks, so I think she's getting plenty of calcium, vitamin D. She eats tons of spinach and broccoli, too. Last well visit the doctor actually suggested we withhold water to try to get her on milk, and I just didn't think it was necessary. Now she's really pushing it. Would you be worried?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is low in the percentile range, but i wouldnt be too worried as long as she is eating healthy. kids drop a lot of weight when they hit that age because they are all of a sudden are up and moving around more. i would try and get her to eat a little bit more, with more snacks in the day. if she wont drink milk, but she is eating other dairy products, make sure those dairy products are made from whole milk, not 2 percent.

both of my girls are in the lower percentile for their age, and the docs arent too conserned because they have good eating habbits.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I would not be overly worried. Many kids when sick will drop some weight and thats not abnormal...My daughter is almost 2 and just 8%! LOL My other two kids were always 95% so its unual for me to have a tiny one but she eats and is healthy just small and doesn't gain. Getting her to 25% would be good for us!
    Anonymous

• Maybe she just doesn't like milk. You can try a small amount of chocolate syrup in her milk to get her to drink more. My son's dr said that the benefits of the milk justify the small amount of extra sugar.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I would try giving her soy milk or organic chocolate milk, i know.. some are high in sugar but if you keep it moderated she only needs about 3 8 oz (at least mine takes that) per day, more is always better (unless it's juice) and there's so many varieties of milk out there. Definitely also encourage 'hiding calcium' in places, buy the calcium-enriched poducts to make sure she doesn't lose her nutrients. We hear ya mama! Find recepies to get more milk in here, add it mac n cheese, eggs to make them fluffier, mashed potatoes, even cereal that absorbs it up like ' mini wheats'. Best of luck!
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 8:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If she is eating plenty of other calcium rich foods she doesn't need milk.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• She won't drink soy or chocolate milk... tried it (the chocolate I didn't want to do on a permanent basis, but I tried it out of curiosity once I realized she wouldn't even drink a fruit smoothie, lukewarm hot cocoa or yogurt drink). She will simply not sip anything if it is not water.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my daughter dont drink milk either and she is also having trouble with her weight..she is almost 16 months and she only weights 17lbs..but she eats alot and she also eats healthy..she dont like milk and she dont like some meat..she is very active.i was worried at first when her doctor said something but i had to think about things..as long as she is eating good and is healthy every other way i wouldnt worry bout it... .
    Anonymous

• first, don't worry too much, my son dropped in percentile points from his 9 month to his 12 month visit but has now leveled off. second, as for the milk, I don't think your doc is recommending it for the calcium I think she's recomending it for the calories. you could see if your daughter likes hemp milk, it has a bunch of fatty acids in it. also start trying to slip in healthy fats, avacados, saute stuff in olive oil, add an extra dash to her noodles. I slip coconut oil into my son's smoothies things like that. they can't have too much good fats at this age and they're so active and don't always eat alot so it can be hard to get the calories they need in them.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2010