formula to whole milk transition question..

my son is on soy formula hes 10.5 months old. i was wondering if i should try to switch him to a milk based formula for a month and a half and then slowly add in the whole milk...he eats yogurt without a problem . i added a scoop of the enfamil next step premium to his bottle and he didn't spit up at all.

sweet.lil.mama

Asked by sweet.lil.mama at 8:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to ur doc first. i would def wait until closer to his birthday tho to make the transition. but what ur suggesting is how i would go about to re-introduce milk in his diet.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'd wait another month and start trying whole milk. I had a child on soy formula and another on lactose free formula, and both made the transition fine at around 11.5 months to a year. They were both eating foods that had dairy in them, so I figured they'd be fine with milk. Around 11.5 months I'd put an ounce of milk in their bottle (replacing 1 ounce of formula) to see how they did. They both did fine so after a few days I'd up it to 2 ounces of milk in each bottle, and just kept increasing an ounce every few days. It worked for us!
    Anonymous

• I would transition him to water, not milk.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2010