Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I lived in Florida..(tax related)

for half of the year and Mississippi the other half of the year am I considered a resident of both states?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • You need a permanent address. Many people live here in Florida half the year and another state half the year. You'd have to choose which state is your state of residence. I don't know about Mississippi but in Florida we do not file state taxes.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • If you are in MS now and you are working (or you spouse is) then MS is your state of residence. If you have worked in MS then you will have to file and pay state taxes for the time that you worked there regardless of your state residency. Your residency is where you are living and working currently.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • US State Residency

    You may want to take advantage of certain financial benefits that are available if you establish residency in another US state. For example, you may want to set up a residency in a state other than your own for the benefits of a business you want to incorporate (lower taxes, etc.) or for lower personal taxes (or eliminating state tax). You may want another or a different residency for the purpose of securing in-state tuition at a university or college.
    Establishing residency in a new state can be performed generally in the same manner in all of the 50 US states. However, you need to check any specific state and the particular part of the state that interests you for more details. This would include the length of time one must live in that state in order to qualify legally as a state resident.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • To establish legal residency in a new US state:
    Locate a place to live in the new state. Purchase a home if you can.
    Spend substantial time in the new state.
    Maintain social and business relations in the new state.
    Have a bank account in the new state.
    Next, establish a living address with the U.S. Postal Service by going to the nearest post office and filing a change of address form.
    Have your important documents transferred to your new address (insurance, memberships, licenses, etc.).
    You will then need to find a job, pay taxes, and file tax returns in the US state in which you seek residency.
    Obtain a driver's license and car registration in your new US state, or apply for a non-driver's state ID card if you do not drive.
    Next, register to vote in your new state.
    If you have professional licenses, have them transferred to your new state.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • Thank you ladies!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.