Giving your older child a gift from the new baby?

First off, i am 38 weeks pregnant with baby #2. My 2 1/2 year old daughter and I had a meeting with the Parents As Teachers rep today. She told me that we (my husband and I) should buy a gift and give it to our 2 year when we bring the baby home from the hospital and say it's from her new baby brother. She said it's a good way to start things out and make my daughter feel more comfortable with her new sibling. I thought it sounded a little strange, but may consider it. Anyone else done this? What kind of gift did you get?

ChereseB

Asked by ChereseB at 8:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm due any day now myself and I had my older son pick out a stuffed animal/lovey for his baby brother coming. The baby brother is also "giving" my older son a gift when they first meet - we picked out a toy that will hopefully keep him self entertained. I've heard of tons of ideas mainly based around the concept of keeping the older one preoccupied - puzzles, dvds, games, imaginative play toys, books, coloring books etc.
    MaxLover

Answer by MaxLover at 9:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Aw, I think thats a really cute idea! I have never done this before but there are so many "you're a great big sister" gifts out there..thats where I would start.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I did this when I had my second child. My oldest 2 are 5 years and 5 months apart. My second one was getting a lot of new stuff and my oldest wasn't getting anything. I got my oldest a transformer because that's what he likes. I think it helped a lot. I didn't do it with my third child but I couldn't afford to then. I don't know if I will do it this time.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We have never done that and our kids have not had any problems. However, with our fourth child we had our 3 year old and 2 year old pick out pajamas for the new baby. They got him an outfit with dogs all over it! We put the new baby in the outfit right away so that he was wearing it when the kids came in to see him. The boys were SO excited!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• we did with #2 and #3.

they thought it was great and still talk about the presents that baby got for them.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Quoting micheledo: "we had our 3 year old and 2 year old pick out pajamas for the new baby. They got him an outfit with dogs all over it! We put the new baby in the outfit right away so that he was wearing it when the kids came in to see him."

Cute! That's an adorable idea.
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 9:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My boys were 2 and 3 when their sister was born. We went to target and they each picked out a little baby doll to give to her at the hospital. When my inlaws brought them to meet their sister they brought the dolls too and the boys put them in her little bed. They loved picking a gift out for her. We didn't get them anything. They got a sister, they were very excited about that.
    Anonymous

• We did this! I took my oldest (2 yrs old at the time) shopping one afternoon so he could pick out a 'birthday gift' for the baby before she was born. I picked up a small gift (Annie and Clarabel to go with his Thomas set) and a bit bigger gift (a set of tracks) from the baby to him. When DS came to visit us at the hospital the afternoon she arrived, he brought her the bear. We gave him the trains at that visit. When we got home and everything was "baby" focused, DD gave her big bro the other gift. we also kept a small stash of gifts tucked away "just in case." If someone sent or visited with a gift for the baby and the baby only, we pulled a small gift from our stash. It's hard for a toddler to go from the center of the universe to the sidelines -not that you are doing that, but it's how they can see it. You know? Now they're 7 and 5. We did a lot to find balance with them and still do.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes. For my 2nd child, my daughter got a new pretty jacket to wear to the hospital.
    For my 3rd, we got the oldest a Dora backpack that unfolds to make a chair, and we bought the 2nd daughter a Barbie car.
    For this one, I have no idea what to get the girls.
    We didn't really do it as a gift FROM baby, but more a gift from us so that they did not feel left out with all the baby gifts we would get. We wanted them to feel special.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 2:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I did with #2 and #3. The older ones see the new baby getting all this new stuff and they are not getting anything and the new baby is getting all this special attention, so I did. My 3 kids are very close in age and very jealous which is natural.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 11:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2010