A question for moms with autistic children!!!

I just had a baby 2 weeks ago and my husband and I feel she is toooo quiet and there just has to be something wrong. Do any moms with autistic children remember what their kids were like when they were infants. My daughter sleeps like 20-21 hours a day and nothing (I mean nothing) wakes her up. When she is awake nothing bothers her - she never cries. She only cries when she's hungry. We went to the pediatrition today and the dr. moved her limbs everywhere, had to poke at the baby's vagina, and my daughter was undressed so she was cold too; and still my daughter made no noise. I am truly concerned and I know they say you can't tell till they're a little older if the child is autistic, but do any of you moms with autistic kids see any similarities with my daughter, or am I freaking out for nothing and she's just a really good baby and I should count my blessings? Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have an autistic 2 year old. It just sounds like you have a really good baby. =) My son didn't seem any different from other babies at that age. Enjoy your little one and don't compare everything she does to all the other kids or you're going to drive yourself insane. Trust me on this.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my now 10 year old autistic son was a VERY colicy baby! very loud!

like the pp said, you're gonna drive yourself insane with worry over things like this.

did you mention the sleep to the pedi? sleeping that much isn't exactly normal, but not a symptom of autism.
    Anonymous

• Is she gaining weight like she should? Does she respond to your voice, follow you with her eyes? She is probably just fine and is going to be a laid back baby. If you continue to have concerns, make sure your pediatricain listens to you and addresses your areas of concern.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Was she full term? It just sounds like she is two weeks old- very little babies should sleep that long, since their brains are still very busy developing. There is a book that called the first 3 months the 4th trimester- babies are really not ready to be in the world yet. Autism CANNOT be diagnosed until at LEAST 18 months, although there are some brain scans that may bring that to 12 months. Don't ever be afraid to ask your pediatrician questions, but they will probably tell you it's normal. Also remember that your hormones are still going crazy- If you are ready for that, then it doesn't seem as crazy to you, you can instead expect your feelings and reactions to be a little off. Relax, you and your baby are fine, and enjoy being a mommy- they will be noisy enough VERY soon! (my SIL is an autism specialist, but I don't have a child with autism- just a lot of training in my teaching job)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• She sounds nothing like my son with autism - he was LOUD, never slept, always fussing and puking every five minutes.

Your baby sounds like a very good baby, but if you have concerns, mention your specific concerns to your baby's pediatrician - sleeps a lot & seems very under reactive to outside stimuli, hardly cries, etc., but I wouldn't mention autism b/c she is waaaaaay too young to diagnose with autism or even suspect it.

Also, try to relax and enjoy your baby! You're going to go nuts if you analyze every little thing and suspect it means something dire for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thank you so much everyone; you have all been so helpful in easing my mind. I definitely need to just enjoy my baby because it goes by so quickly. I will still mention the sleeping to my pediatrician because I thought that was way too much sleep time for her as well. Hope everyone has a great day and thank you again :)
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 10:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my 23 yr old daughter was always colicky and gassy, very hard to deal with.
    My 3rd daughter was so quiet that I had to remind myself she is around, she would never cry! she would fuss when she was hungry but never cry.
    She is now 17 and was the sweetest kid to raise and now as a teen she is not nearly as bad as she could be. She does need to be more outspoken though.
    The thing with Autism is the digestive system is different and they have problems with bowels and gas, and are sensitve in many areas.
    My last baby slept 12 hours from the day he was born and was always happy, only cried when he was hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I forgot to add that my 23 yr old is autistic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2010