Thinking about becoming a nurse....

I am thinking about becoming a nurse. I think I would be a great pediatric nurse. The only thing that is stopping me is my mom who thinks that I would not be able to handle the blood, guts, and gory stuff. While this is true, I don't plan on becoming an ER nurse. I think I would be fine working in a pediatric doctor's office or in the children's department of a hospital. Should I persue this or just agree with my mom that I might not be cut out to be a nurse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• During clinicals to finish your degree you have to do it all, almost every department.Once you get your degree you can then decide which route to take. Let me advise you getting into a nursing program is very competitive and they will let you take all the prereq classes but only a certain number will make it to clinicals so you have to be dedicated and have stellar grades. Some LPN nursing schools are a little easier but you won't get a high rate of pay so try for a BSN program to get the highest pay and flexibility!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 9:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Thank you, kjfamily. I already have a B.S and the school that I will going to gives extra "points" for this category. My biggest concern is getting through the Emergency Room or Surgery Clinical without gagging or passing out. I am hoping my passion can get me through that. I think I will give it a try though.

Anonymous

• Thats good you already have your BS alot of schools have the BS to BSN program and you only have to take clinicals if your GPA is great..Good Luck, I love being a nurse it's so rewarding and a great job, this country will always need nurses!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 9:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I agree with Ki. I have my BSN and have been an Nicu nurse for 30 years. I do not remember actually doing a clinical rotation through the ER. You can do this, if you put your mind to it. Great profession, very flexible hours with good benefits.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2010