Respect for others religious items such as Bibles, Rosary, Tarot Cards ect

I remember being told it was OK to get rid of a bible the same way you would get rid of any book that was too worn to read or use. A lady found a rosary and tossed it in the garbage for she didn't agree with it. A soldier shot up a Quran. Tarot Card that are unwanted can be recycled.

If we are not part of these religions are under an obligation to respect them as a person part of the religion is? Example, is a atheist under an obligation to respect a bible as Christian would? Is a Christian under an obligation to treat tarrot cards as a with respect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No not at all. I don't expect an Athiest to respect my Bible to the point of never throwing it away because it isn't Holy to them. They may believe parts of it are historical and therefore keep it, but otherwise it may be just another book to them. Tarot cards are something I wouldn't respect at all. I wouldn't even want them in my house because to me they are just the opposite of Holy and don't have a place in a Christian home. Everyone has a right to these opinions. I don't think horrible of anyone if they don't hold my Bible to a high standard...they aren't Christians so why should they?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Agree mama champ, I can throw away tarot cards and I have seen some people use and wear rosaries in ways I don't approve. Why would i hold them to my standards? I don't have a problem throwing away tarot cards and have done so and in return I won't expect someone to treat my religious artifacts with respect.
    Anonymous

• I would say the way you treat the symbols of a religion is a great representation of how you feel about the religion itself. And frankly if you can't have enough respect for someones religious items, you don't have enough respect for their beliefs or the people who believe it... I grew up in a home where anything that wasn't "Christian" was burned with the trash... I found it highly disrespectful and ugly, and continue to feel that way today. Religion is sacred to believers, and if for no other reason than respect for others, the articles of religion should be treated as such.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• And frankly if you can't have enough respect for someones religious items, you don't have enough respect for their beliefs or the people who believe it...

Frankly, I would say this is your opinion. I really don't see how I can tell an atheist to show my bible the respect I do. I don't see how I could humanly expect a person who does not believe the bible is the infallible word of God to treat the bible like I do. I do see how it could be realistic honestly.
    Anonymous

• we always burn the watch tower left at our door step.
    Anonymous

• I am Pagan but i don't think i could ever throw away a Bible or Koran or any other religious symbol. I would prefer to find someone to give it to.
    I may not treat the Bible the same way a Christian would. But i would never treat it with the intent of disrespect.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• As long as it's not done in mockery.

If you're tossing out an old Tarot deck (or insert other sacred object here) just like you would any other old deck...no biggie.
    If you are burning a Tarot deck (or other...) in the public square as a sign of "ridding the World of something EVIL"...Big Problem!!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• i dont think theres an obligation to treat those items w/ respect, but its the right thing to do. i treat other ppl's holy items w/ respect b/c i want them to treat my holy items w/ respect. just b/c i dont agree w/ their religion doesnt mean i need to disrespect it by trashing their holy items. it just seems like a douchey thing to do...

if i came across a lost holy item i would make sure that it got back to someone of that faith. and if i couldnt find someone i would look up the most respectful way to dispose of that item (if there was some reason i couldnt have it in my possession (not that i can think of a reason)).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• A few years ago I was flipping the channels and came to a religion show. The person had a big problems with Catholics, to the point of bashing a statue of Mary. I watched in amusement for a minute or two. Once my interest was lost I moved on to EWTN.

This man had the right to speak no matter how much I disagreed with him. He wants to show how bad Catholics are, so be it. If he needs to show the world how horrible Catholics are, that is certainly his prerogative in this country. His actions won't rock my faith if I know and understand my faith.
    Anonymous

• The statue of Mary he smashed, I am almost positive was a statue of St Theresa but I didn't get a good enough look. This person didn't know enough to know the difference. I wonder if he went into a Catholic shop and bought the first statue of a woman with a cross and flowers. LOL
    Anonymous