Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you lost your kid to cps?

5 years ago i was in a really nasty place in my life. cps got called on me and i did not do what they told me to do when i was pregnant with my son. i didnt show up to court on time and they gave my ex sole custody of my son. i see him on a regular basis and i think they my x is going to go to prison for a dwi. what do you think the chances are of me going to court and getting joint custody of him back. i am in a lot better place then i was them.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • Many years ago I had a friend that was in a bad situation. Her husband took their kids and left her. He was the most fit parent at the time and I am surprised CPS did not take the kids before he did. However, she changed her life around tremendously after all that happened and several years later the situation reversed. The father was now in a bad situation and not the best parent for the kids. She took him to court and won full custody with child support.

    I would say go to court, your chances are probably really good on getting cusotdy if he is going to prison and you are in a much better place in your life. Good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • I guess it is always a possibility. They are going to have to do inspections on a regular basis, like they would if you were a foster parent. They will often check in unexpectedy and watch everything you do. I have heard it's really hard to get back custody once you've lost it. But if you can show the judge you are the next best person to care for your son, then it might be in your favor. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • If you can prove it i would think that your chances are pretty good. ...but it also depends on if there is someone who will battle you for him.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 10:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • Try! Good luck!

    Answer by Adelicious at 11:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • You have to hire an attorney and try. I don't know your exact circumstances but you can try. If you have family who is also willing to try as well then at least someone from your family may have a good chance of getting custody.

    Answer by frogdawg at 12:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.