Condeming a house that you rent....

If you live in a really crappy house that you are renting from your landlords and the city condemns the house, what happens to you? Are you out on your butt? Do they make the landlords pay you back your rent? Help please! I am in MI if that matters...

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 10:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• well for a house to be condemned it has to be pretty bad! why would you want to live somewhere like that anyway??
    Anonymous

• We have been living here for over a year now. DH lost his job, and we have nowhere else to go right now. I don't know if it is that bad, just trying to be prepared. Our landlords have been really shady about fixing things, and this house is old as dirt.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 10:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'm not familiar with the laws in your state but I would imagine if you took it to court you could get back rent from your landlords. But you need to make sure you send them notices about things that need to be fixed. Make copies and send it registered. If you don't do that, you may not be entitled to anything, even though the place is clearly in bad shape.

I would suggest contacting your local office of Housing and Urban Development for assistance. I'll pray that things improve for you and you can move to a better place.
    midwestmomx3

Answer by midwestmomx3 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010