SeaWorld Trainer's Family Wants to Prevent Release of Video Footage of Accident

The family of a SeaWorld Orlando trainer who was drowned by a killer whale after a Feb. 24 performance, is gearing up for a legal battle to prevent video footage of the incident from appearing online or on television, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

How AWFUL is this!? They actually have to go to COURT for THIS? Is there no human decency? Can you think of ANY Reason that this thing SHOULD be released to the public??? I think its just SICK!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think people need to understand they are KILLER WHALES. They are dangerous and keeping them in tiny tanks has the same effects of keeping humans in solitary confinemewnt for extended periods. It makes both crazy. I am NOT a PETA freak. I AM 100% against continued captivity of Orcas.
    Anonymous

• There is no benefit to the public from seeing this footage - but any evidence obtained is public record by law in the state of FL. The media should be above airing it; but that doesn't change the law that makes evidence public domain.
    Anonymous

• It's the way the laws are in Florida. I completely agree with the family, and am glad that SeaWorld supports their position.

anon :23 no offense, but I would NOT call those tanks TINY!!
    Anonymous

• I was waiting for this. My husband is in media and we knew if someone released the video, it would be seen everywhere. It is awful. "If it bleeds, it leads." Hopefully the court will not allow it. I can't imagine if it were my family member. Why do we need to see this anyway? I can't think of a reason at all. It's not like it will change things and they are keeping the whale. Sucks.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think its terrible they are trying to release it. I mean who wants to see their family member dying on tv? Thats so disrepectfu to the family.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The people that want to see this footage are the same ignorant rubber neckers who try to get a look at fatal accident scenes where I work. I've been tempted a few times to drag them from their cars to where the mangled corpses are and give them an up close and personal experience.... I bet that would cure them of their morbid curiosity for the rest of their lives. Not only are dead/dying people not nice to look at you have to factor in smell and sounds...ugh.

People are f!cking sick these days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Where do I sign to say give this family respect?

yep 2:03 they are freaky deeks
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Not to get completely off track, but this reminds me of a story that's going on in Atlanta right now about a female hiker who was brutally murdered and now Hustler magazine wants the crime scene photos--so freaking creepy and disgusting. Why on earth would a porn magazine want to publish photos of this poor lady's nude and battered body? I just don't understand how that fits with what Hustler is trying to sell.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=141525

Where has common decency gone?

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• anon :23 no offense, but I would NOT call those tanks TINY!!

Compared to the vastness of the oceans; ummm yeah they are!

I'm a fan of Sea World; I think they do great work in the fields of research; conservation; and raising awareness. Accidents happen and that is tragic.

But I think you fool yourself to think that these tanks aren't percieved as 'small' for these giant animals. I'd love to see Sea World relocate to shoreline areas and hold their large animals in open water pens...but the time for that has long since passed; they've invested too much $$ in the locations they're already in.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2010