Why do parents do this??

I see this all too often: in cold weather, a young child wearing shorts and short sleeve shirt while parents are wearing pants and sweatshirts or coats.
I have been noticing this more and more. Especially with babies! Mom wearing warm clothes and has her baby in a onesie and skirt. No blanket, no jacket, not even socks.
Don't they realize that if they are cold their little ones are probably cold too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• omg i totally know what ya mean!! i was at the grocery store sometime in december, we had a couple inches of snow outside, and there was this mom who had a baby that was like 5-6 months old and she was in a onesie!! thats it!!!! no socks, no sweater, no pants..nothing!! i was shocked! i however always have done the opposite..lol..im always hot, so im the one always wearing shorts/capris/tanktops, aand flipflops even when theres 2 feet of snow out there...BUT i dress my daughter approprietly (sp)..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Because it's CUTE!! 

@#$%ing morons

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Why don't you ask them? I have no clue what's going on in thier head.
    Anonymous

• I sometimes get caught in colder weather unsuspecting. I feel terrible when that happens. But if my daughter doesn't have a jacket on then it's because it was warm when we got dressed, and either it's colder where we are headed or the weather changed and it's colder than I thought it would be. I dress her how I dress, so if she's dressed warmly, so am I, etc. There has never been a time that I can recall that she didn't have a jacket and I did. If that were to happen she would be wearing my jacket as a blanket.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I find it frustrating when i see infants dressed like that when there i cold weather. However, children have their own bodies and minds. My DS1 does just fine in shorts and a short sleeve shirt even when i think it is very cold. The cold does not bother him. DS2 is more like me though, and needs a sweater even if it's only a bit chilly.
    Also, with older children, i think parents must pick and choose their battles. DS2 has been stuborn at times and has decided that he won't be cold (even when i know he will be) he refuses to wear a sweater. ...well, he suffers the consequences of his own actions when that happens.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I used to think about the same things you do until I realized that my 1yr old won't keep socks or shoes on at any time. Everywhere he goes, he strips his socks and shoes off. I'm sure someone has thought bad about me seeing my son in a big fluffy coat and only one sock or no socks. :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• i think most parents understand the socks and show thing legalmommy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• oops. i mean *shoe not show
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Where do you live? Because personally, I have never seen kids so underdressed. I live in the midwest.
    Anonymous

• Idk, but I live in Colorado and I see this all the time! Wth? Parents walking up to the school with their kids, and the kids have shorts and t-shirts on when it's 20 degrees outside! I don't get it. My kids do not leave the house without proper seasonal clothing on. If they refuse to wear it, then they are punished appropriately. It's a little different when it's a baby who won't keep socks on, or if you get caught up in a change in the weather. But allowing kids to wear shorts and no coat when it's 20 degrees out is just plain stupid and lazy. I'm assuming that's what their kids wanted to wear, and the parents are too lazy and don't want to argue, so they let the kids walk all over them.
    Anonymous