Should there be a minimum age of consent (16 or 18 years) before anyone can join a religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think the religions themselves should make a rule where people can't officially be a member of any religion until they are of an age where they can make the choice for themselves.

MOST Wiccan Covens won't initiate a member until they are at least 16, even if they grew up Wiccan. I think other religions should follow suit there...

Religion is a deeply personal thing and shouldn't be forced or joined under pressure. IF a child is under a decent maturity level, they are joining simply because they think they are supposed to or because they are being pressured in to it by family & friends, not because they are ready to choose a religion.

But I don't think it should be a law. The Government has no part in religion - any religion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No, that kinda takes away from freedom of religion.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• you mean like spells can't be done by or in front of children, or girls can't be forced to wear a head scarf before they are 16 or 18?

nah I think that is a bad idea.
    Anonymous

• lol, ive always thought that!! i apparently asked jesus into my heart when i was 4yrs old!! well, im sorry, but how the hell did i know what i was doing, and what that meant??!! exactly, i didnt!!!!!! needless to say i dont follow relgious stuff anymore..i believe in God, but, thats about it. it got forced on me to much as a child, and now i just could almost care less. (im 27)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my daughter started talking about the Blessed Mother at the age of 4, my son and daughter both had visions of angels and my son asked me if he could get confirmed when he was 15.

no, the government should stay out of the chuch speration of church and state you know
    Anonymous

• Why do so many people want to trample on our rights to religious freedom? And why do so many people want the government in every single aspect of their lives? In my church the age for confirmation is 14, in many religions the age of consent is 14. Are you saying you want those religions to changes their beliefs and their traditions?

Anonymous

• Those who want to make a committment should be free to do so ( as opposed to those whose parents want them to make the committment) and those who chose not to, should not. I can't see it as anyone else's business - government, parent or next door neighbour.
    Anonymous

• Wow...thats a really really bad idea and it most certainly violates rights. And who determines the age exactly? I know plenty of people under that age who made conscious religious decisions. Its so naive to think a young person can't.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• bad idea
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It shouldn't be legislated, it should be basic common sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010