They found an irregular heartbeat in me today. What will they do to manage this? Anyone have any experience?

I suppose it's different for each person. I read I may have to give up caffeine...ugh. I guess that's the least of my worries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Health

• They will more than likely monitor it. I had irregular heart rhythm and kept me overnight for observation and ended up putting a pacemaker in. I had alot of issues that contributed and I was only 13. Everyone is different but I would stay off the caffeine and see how that helps you. Try not to stress over it I know easier said than done but Good Luck mama and prayers to you!
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• iron pills will help
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 12:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I've had an irregular heartbeat for years, when I was young it only skipped beats once in awhile and didn't feel all that weird, skip to age 39 where I entered an abusive relationship...it began skipping beats on a daily basis, my blood pressure shot up as well, and the skipped beats left me feeling weak and dizzy afterwards...I'm out of the relationship now so obviously less stressed and it only happens once in awhile...I take fish oil, 3 times a day, that helped regulate it, I also walk 5 miles a day 5 times a week, sometimes 7...I feel great most of the time, no issues with it just when I'm stressed. The Drs' wanted to put me on medication, I refused and I'm glad I did...this is manageable and no huge deal, exercise and diet are key, take omega 3 fish oil and avoid bad fats...keep your weight low & you'll be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Heart Ablation will do the trick. For years I had an irregular heartbeat and sometime it went wild.....well the birth of my 4th child, I almost died because my heart had gone wild and they had to stop it and start it back up again. 6 months later I had a quik, day surgery at the heart center of a nearby hospital and I never had a problem since then.
    Go see a cardioligist (heart DR.) and ask them if heart ablation would be your cure. It is painless and does wonders!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• wow. thanks you guys....
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you're experiencing irregular heartbeats. It's probably atrial fibrillation, which is the most common irregular heartbeat. There's lots to learn about it.

1) Why don't you start here to learn more about what causes irregular heartbeat: http://www.stopafib.org/causes.cfm
    In addition to diet issues and stress, other important causes that women should know about are sleep apnea and thyroid issues.

2) It's too soon to jump to an ablation, but if it gets bothersome or dangerous (risk of stroke), they often treat it with medication, which you can learn more about here: http://www.stopafib.org/medication.cfm

3) If meds don't take care of it, then a catheter ablation or surgical ablation (maze or mini-maze procedure) may be in order. You'll find more info about those at: http://www.stopafib.org/cured.cfm

Good luck with it.

Mellanie True Hills
    Mellanie_Hills

Answer by Mellanie_Hills at 11:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2010