I have a 10 and a 12 year old cousin that have decided to pick up smoking cigarettes...

Their mother is in the hospital now and has health issues, completely unrelated to smoking, she neve r smoked a day in her life, but I was wonder if anyone had any suggestion on how to stop this behavior before it's to late, I'm really close to them and want to help as much as I can to try to get them to quit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• its really hard. i had my first cigarette when i was 12. i never touched one again till i was 14. then kept smoking because my mom really never told me not to because she smoked and didnt want to be a hyprocrite. Im now 21 and the only time i quit cold turkey was when i found out i was pregnant. ive gone mths with out smoking then started again. when my sister was 12 she decided to try smoking. she lives with my aunt due to the fact my mom lost custody of her. my aunt would not put up with her smoking so she took all the ciggs my sister had. emptied the tabacoo into orange juice and made her drink it. my sister thew up for 2 days straight. shes now 15 and has never touched one since. its gross and a hard lesson but it teaches them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• This is a situation where I actually believe in a butt whoopin'. How stupid of them!

The truth campaign does a lot for kids and teens. http://www.thetruth.com/

Where are they getting cigarettes? Stop it at the source!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP... They are finding cigarettes on the ground when they go out and "play." I've explained to them why our Grandmother had to have oxygen all those years before she passed away (emphysema), trying to scare them into stopping but that didn't work:(

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Tell them you will call the police on them if they are smoking. It is illegal for them to smoke. Seriously, I started smoking when I was twelve and didn't stop until I was 37. Make them stop. Find a way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Maybe you could find someone who currently has bad health because of smoking to talk to them. (Try a hospital or something...maybe explain the situation to the nurses and they could refer you to someone.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2010