giving a baby almond or soy milk

ok so iam breastfeeding my 5 month old son and have been trying to give him bottles so that i can leave him a time or two with his dad or family but he just not like the bitter taste of formula because my milk is so sweet and he just screams bloody mary if anyone tries and i was wondering if i can give him almond or soy milk since it is not actual cows milk and has a sweeter taste like my milk? please dont talk down on me asking this question just curios and does not mean i am going to do this just trying to get some nice opinions! thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since both are common allergens, I wouldn't try it. Especially nuts so young. My MW recommends raw goat's milk for occasional supplementing because it is more like human milk than any other non-human milk.

Are you able to pump and freeze your milk?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i only BF for 3 mths with my son. i wasnt producing enough milk, so i tried my son on formula but he hated it and it made him not able to poop. so the dr told me to try soy formula, he was on that till about 4 mths then i switched him to Silk soy or theres boxed soy in the organic section of the food store. it comes in all diff flavors but my son loved the vanilla and chocolate. if you try almond i would just watch so he dosnt get constipated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• have you tried soy formula? the isomil
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• yeah my DD drank soy formula until she was 11 mnths then the dr. said switch to Silk whch is what she drinks now
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• oh ok thank you soo much yes i had him taking formula and had to get the soy based one and had no problem so i know that should be ok but i think i will wait on the almond but thank you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• yes but it just has the most bitter taste ever have you ever tried what you give to these babies sorry haha i might be weird but i like to try what i give to my baby for some reason
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Have you tried pumping.... or how long are you gone for? Less than 3 hours and you really don't need top leave anything at all, just nurse before leaving.

Also, it may not be the formula... it may just be that it's not you (or, if you are trying to give a bottle, that it's not the boob). They're smart. They know whats good for them! Neither of my boys took bottles at 5 months, so I worked around it... never left for long periods of time and you know what? They grow up really fast...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• it could be that its not the formula but the bottle. when i bf i would give my dd a bottle of breast milk every now and then so my dh could feed her but at first we tried the regular nipple and she would not take them at all so then i got the nuk bottles and she took right to it. the nipple shape is more like your nipple shape when they are sucking and they are great because it supports breastfeeding and doesnt cause nipple confusion.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Get a breastpump

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No, because soy milk and almond milk and even rice milk do not have the nutrients that your little one NEEDS. I'd try to pump, or leave baby with the caregiver and formula. They WON'T starve themselves, but if it's a short seperation, your LO might wait for you to come back before eating.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010