What helps your newborn sleep at night?

How do you get your newborn to sleep at night when he is cranky? Do you rock the baby etc ? Do you have any tips for a better night's sleep (for baby and mommy!)? If your baby hates diaper changes should you change him before the last nursing or after?

Asked by Lulu_101 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursing always helped my babies sleep at night. They'd sleep right next to me and get a boob whenever they woke... I always changed them right before bed (and thus, nursing), and then through the night as needed.

Answer by LeanneC at 1:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yeah exactly what Leanne said!

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Newborns are not built to sleep through the night. My daughter was eight months the first time she slept six solid hours; she was fourteen months when she started doing this on a regular basis.

Cosleeping really saved me; I was able to sleep/doze while baby nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I cosleep too. My baby prefers to be dry before nursing, but she gets mad if she's hungry so it is a catch 22. I err on the side of chaging before otherwise she pops constantly off because she's uncomfortable.

I follow her night cues and she set her own schedule (it will change a lot in the first year). She goes to bed between nine and ten, wakes between 11 and 12 for a feeding ( go to bed at this time). Then wakes between 2-3 for a feed or diaper change then back to sleep. Around 6am so she has her morning fountain of pee pee poop pee pee. It's crazy. LOL She doesn't stay up to play at night. Takes care of her needs and right back under.

Answer by amileegirl at 8:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i change mine before his last feeding, feed him, rock him till he's at a good snore, and then befor ei did all that i lay a heating pad on his crib on low, that way when i put him in his crib, its warm. this has helped wonders. And he sleeps on his tummy, which helps him sleep better.

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010