at what temp. do you take your infant to the ER?

my son will be 9 months on the 11th and hes runing a 102.5 temp. right now.. i just gave him motrin im hoping it brings it down.. but im worried that it wont =[ cuz the tylenol we gave him at 6:30 when he was running a 100.2 temp took it down only for about 15 min. im just lost on what to do for him =[
he is not acting himself at all =[

mrsdemchuck

Asked by mrsdemchuck at 1:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What time is it where you live? You gave him tylenol at 6:30pm?? and now motrin right? How far apart were the meds?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Did the motrin help at all?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• What's recommended is:
    101.3F
    102.3F under the arm
    100.3F rectally
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My concern is that you gave tylenol and yet the fever spiked anyway. Does your baby have any other symptoms?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• sorry i should of been more specific on time.. i gave him the tylenol at 6:30 and the motrin at 10:30.. at 11:30 it finally dropped down to 100.3.. and now he is playing.. im going to continue to watch his temp. if it spikes up to 103.0 again im taking him in..!
    mrsdemchuck

Answer by mrsdemchuck at 3:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• could you call the er and ask?
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Have you tried a cool rag on the forhead, not bundling the baby up, a tepid (a tad cooler than luke warm) bath? Those helped when my 2 year old had a fever of 104.?cant remember?, we gave some tylonol and a cool bath, it dropped right down.. by the time we got to the er at childrens her temp was fine and they sent us home.. you should be fine if hes acting normal now, just keep a close eye till all regulates to norm.. but if you think somethings wrong better safe than sorry, or try to call your nurse hotline on your insurance card, or get ahold of a nurse at the hospital to see what they think.. hope he feels better, glad to hear its down for now☺ we will pray for him over here if you dont mind.. It wont hurt anyway♥God bless♥
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 3:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have never taken my kids to the ER for a fever. I think the highest they have had is 103. Anyway, I usually keep an eye on it and if it stays up, with no change after medicine, for 24 hours, I would call the doctor then. If it stays down below 101, I usually just keep on eye on my child for the next few days and make sure there are no other symptoms. Generally a fever is not a reason to take your child to the ER (unless extremely high or there are other symptoms - lethargic, unresponsive, etc).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010