Our dog is afraid of my husband...????????? What can we do?

Okay so I got a whopper of a question for you. This cocker we have rescued from a lady that crated him over 10 hrs a day is getting much better about comands but he is getting worse as far as his fear of men. he always rolls over and pees himself and if my husband reaches down even to pet him he sometimes poops himself. Also he has started biting my husband and wont listen to a thing he says. Now on the other hand he will listen to me and our 2 toddler girls (3&5) {even if we (us girls) scold him for something he's fine but if husband go to get him to take him potty or anything he just freaks out!} so what in the world should I do? Its just getting worse the more we try and I hate to have to get him a new home but right now Husbands not happy and dog's not happy. Is there anything I can do. (he's 1 year old)

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 1:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Pets

• I'm sorry, you won't want to hear this. I don't think you should keep that dog. Your dog is a fear biter and there is not much you can do unless you are willing to do INTENSE therapy for it. One of these days he will be so afraid he will attack. It will most likely be the kids. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would talk to the people where you rescued him and see if they have trainers who can help you work through this, it sounds like at some point a man was not so nice to him. I hate when I hear of people crating for long periods like that.

I have a rescue basset and we went through some trying things at the start, he refused to eat for any of his foster homes and now he is fat and happy. I have taken in many rescue pets normally cats, but i have found that working with trainers at the shelters helps quite a bit when you have situations like this.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my dog pee's when he gets scared too. I think the people who had him before me hit him, cause sometimes when i walk past him he cowers and piddles. he is also getting better with time, knowing that we wont hurt him
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Dog's understand tones. Have your husband talk in a higher pitch baby voice to the dog. Have him get down on the dog's level, either sitting or laying on the floor. This will make him appear less of a threat.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• yes i have a shepherd that we got from a breeder that was also brought back.he didnt like it when you talked baby talk.we think he was beaten.he doesnt go near brooms.but like ceaser says you have to be firm...also my thought is for your dh to give the dog treats.our shepherd is pretty smart but he is skiddish.he isnt visious but i do have to watch him.your dog probly was abused in some way.my neighbor crates her dog all day.(another reason i hate her)and when he goes out to go to the bathroom its physco....like ceaser also says have your dh take him out for a long walk.i think anything that shown the dog that your dh is not a threat....good luck....
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Here is my suggestion, and I am no expert. All of you take the dog outside with treats. Have the girls giving the dog treats for doing tricks he knows like sit and stay. Have your husband move closer to the dog while the girls are distracting him. Then have your husband rewarding the dog with treat every other time. If you are outside it doesn't matter is the dog pees or poos. Watch It Is Me or the Dogs on Animal Planet. Great show. Also if you husband throws a ball for the dog then the dog doesn't have to come too close, but they are still palying.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Your husband needs to get down and lay on the ground and let the dog come to him...don't call it; don't try to touch it; put a treat on the floor near him and like a bread trail you lead the dog closer and show him your husband going to hurt him - this will take repitition.

It sounds like the dog was abused - likely by a man in the past; it can get past it - but it takes work...I suggest you look and see if there are any Dog Whisperer episodes On Demand in your area and watch; he's worked with several of these types of cases with amazing results. I ♥ him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I just read the end - sorry...the dog can sense your husbands frustration...and that's feeding into the problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My thought is that the dog has had a bad experience with men. The trust needs to be build up between your husband and the dog. I would suggest that your husband talks to him a lot so he gets used to the male voice and realizes that he is not a threat. After that your husband can try to pet the dog and take him for walks. Laying down on the floor with him does not sound like a good idea. The dog is not on the same level as a human. The dog still needs to know that your husband "outranks" him but won´t harm him, like a pack leader.
    One of my dogs was VERY submissive and peed herself every time I changed my voice and got a little more firm when she was doing something wrong. It takes time and training, but it can be fixed.
    Maybe you can find a book about the breed, since every breed is different and needs different handling when it comes to issues. That could help to understand your dog and the signs he is sending.
    AtillaTheHun

Answer by AtillaTheHun at 4:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• maybe have your husband walk the dog. i know that helps dogs bond to other dogs and watch the dog whisperer on natgeo
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2010