What is Narcolepsy? At what point do you know you have it? I seem to fall asleep waay!! tooo! EASY!

I fight to stay awake. I fight to have energy and fall asleep no matter what is going on. I can have 8 hours sleep and an hour later fighting to stay awake. The car is the worst place for me to be because it makes me so very tired and sleepy, a half hour into drining and I fight the feeling of wanting to "pass out" and not from drinking but from being exhausted! There's no real reason to feel so wiped out and exhausted.
What is the problem here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Health

• You may have sleep apnea. When you have it, you dont get good quality sleep & are exhausted all the time. My husband has it. He can fall asleep while he's talking to you. Seriously. He is tired all the time. He falls asleep the second he hits the pillow. He falls asleep watching tv. He falls alseep at red lights. Really. Problem though, he has a CPAP machine & refuses to use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I meant to say that when I'm driving I want to pass out and just sleep///////////// op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You can also be diabetic or have an epileptic seizure problem. SEE A DOCTOR and tell them this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Oh and you can be HYPOTHYROID....again...SEE A DOCTOR>
    Anonymous

• seriously? This is the op and i never thought about that! Do I just ask them to test me for this? or just go see a dr and wait for them to see what they think?
    Anonymous

• lol its kinda funny but not really i actually had this problem when i was pregnant with my first child. i would be in the middle of a conversation with a co worker and fall asleep. and many many times while driving to and from work i would get that way and have to pull over, i got to the the point where i had to have my husband drive me. it didnt matter what i was doing to where i was at i would just fall asleep. and it lasted about a month after i had my child. the doc told me because i have low thyroid levels that it most likely was that and did bloodwork and raised my meds. although it didnt help even after my levels were normal. but i would ask the doc to check your tyroid levels and get a FULL work up on the thyroid labs like your T3 T4 and TSH levels. That is something you should really be concerned about and get checked out.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would go to the doctor, tell them how you are feeling & about your sleeping & see what they suggest. I bet they will first of all do a blood test to see if your hormone levels are correct. If they are, then they might suggest a sleep study for sleep apnea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• you may want to ask sometimes without a family history of it they wont test for it but there is an autoimmune disease calls Hashimoto's disease that can cause hypothyroid. that is what i have and there isnt a sinle person in my family that has thyroid problems.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• get a sleep study
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• narcolepsy is different from what you are describing. It is a form of epilepsy and when someone has narcolepsy they tend to fall asleep in the middle of things. My grandfather has it and sometimes he will be talking to us and then suddenly start sleeping in mid-sentence. Then a few minutes later he will wake up and continue on as if nothing had happened. I dont think that it has a lot to do with being tired or sleepy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2010