what do you think

been looking around, and my kitchen is so UGLY its old and needs badly to be redone but just getting a new oven and all that is gonna take most the money I have saved, should I wait 3 more years before remodeling then i would have then money, or should I remodel now and I would be taking the doors and handles and replacing them or repainting the doors and sanding and repainted the rest, and putting a new sink and a new countertop and oven stove ect in, what would u do wait or not replace the cabinets

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It would depend on if I was happy with the amount of storage I have. In my kitchen if I were redoing it I would replace the cabinets because I seriously need more & better laid out storage. If you are happy with the storage, I would go ahead & just do what you are suggesting as far as replacing hardware, repainting etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• im okay with the storage but its got an ugly green counter top and brown and white and all sorta of UGLY ness, I can affort paint but 5000$ for a new kitchen isnt gonna happen anytime soon thats for sure.. took me forever to save the 3000 for the new stove, dishwasher ect
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If you don't need the money for retirement or college, then go ahead and remodel.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If the cabinets are in good condition, just paint them. Then you can spend the money on a new counter and hands and appliances.  IMO

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If your kitchen is completely functional and working for you, avoiding cosmetic issues, I would leave it alone for now. Keep your money in savings and hold on to it for as long as possible.
    If you just can't stand the cosmetics of the kitchen slowly start putting a little money aside, separate from your current savings to buy paint related materials. Start with removing old paint and stain and paint the kitchen cabinets and walls. Wait a few weeks and see how you feel about the kitchen.
    Knobs and drawer pulls can be pricey, consider cheaper ones and go with those if you decide to change them. Wait a few weeks and see how you feel about the kitchen. If you still want change, go with flooring issues and do it yourself. Then window treatments.
    I would not buy appliances until last when you know you have the money to spend on Quality Products. And finally, countertops as a very last item.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• **note**
    If you paint cabinets, use only the very best enamel you can afford with a satin or semi gloss finish. Not Gloss or high gloss. High gloss will drive you crazy on sunny days, and flat paint won't be easy to clean.
    A new light fixture is a great pickup too if your husband can do electrical, for 50 bucks you can great a great new stylish fixture at lowes or homedepot.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have been doing our kitchen slowly. 1) To stretch out the money and 2) I have had kids and everything just kind of stopped. I am still glad I have done some things. In a few years I will get it done BUT, some of the things that I first remolded may be out of style. So where does that leave me? Always remoldeling? lol Maybe just change the paint. Anyway, its something for you to consider if you are going to remoldel slowly. My kitchen was horrible when we first bought the house so the small stuff that I have done has made a LOADS of difference. GL!!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Our house was built in the 70's and the kitchen stuff was all original except the dishwasher was only a year or two old. Our cabinets were wood. My husband painted the cabinets a cream color. We painted the walls a dark green and then got Silestone counters with an brownish/orangish coloring to them. We got all new white appliances except the dishwasher and put new hardware on the doors and drawers. New sink and faucet and the kitchen looks soooo much better and we saved a lot of money by painting rather than replacing the cabinets. We bought the cooktop, oven, and refrigerator at Sears at a New Year's sale where we saved 20% on three appliances. It was a rebate and got about $650 back. The paint for the kitchen is oil based. I don't remember why he chose that, but it was a good reason. LOL! He just made sure to open the windows when he was painting in the house. The doors and drawers he did in the garage.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• we ran out of money for the cupboards too so I just took all the doors off, scrubbed them silly and put new more modern hardware on. it was amazing the change that little bit made.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thanks ladies, been thinking alot about it and since I need new stove ect cause it doesnt work, I think I am just gonna paint it and found a new countertop for a good price and a few new lights and a new sink, totalled it up and I could be way under where I want to be, and still have money for a few other things I would want for the house.. thanks for your input, though would like some more inside on the paint thing, I mean why one over the other??? Oh and for the ladies, how long did it take you to do the kitchen, my kitchen is small its only a 1000sq house so nothing big, just trying to see how long and how hard it would be to do.
    Anonymous