Chief Justice Robert comments on Obama's SOTU criticism of the Supreme Court.

Responding to a University of Alabama law student’s question, Roberts said anyone was free to criticize the court, and some have an obligation to do so because of their positions.

“So I have no problems with that,” he said. “On the other hand, there is the issue of the setting, the circumstances and the decorum.

“The image of having the members of one branch of government standing up, literally surrounding the Supreme Court, cheering and hollering while the court — according the requirements of protocol — has to sit there expressionless, I think is very troubling.”

~~~~

Do you agree with U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. Should Justices even attend?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Roberts told the students he wonders whether justices should attend the speeches.

"I'm not sure why we're there," said Roberts.

Justice Antonin Scalia once said he no longer goes to the annual speech because the justices "sit there like bumps on a log" in an otherwise highly partisan atmosphere. Six of the nine justices attended Obama's address.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• LOVE IT!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• “So I have no problems with that,” he said. “On the other hand, there is the issue of the setting, the circumstances and the decorum. “The image of having the members of one branch of government standing up, literally surrounding the Supreme Court, cheering and hollering while the court — according the requirements of protocol — has to sit there expressionless, I think is very troubling.”

Basically, I got from this~ Roberts feels Obama lacks the decorum to understand there is a time and place for certain things.  And Obama using the SOTU as his pulpit to preach to them KNOWING they couldn't show emotion was troubling..  <-- I AGREE!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Roberts must not have been there the day Obama reminded his "inner circle" that "he won!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yeah well Obama is an egomaniac i'd say narcissist.I would even say he is the worst i've seen for president to date..in my lifetime.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It's all very sad in America now.
    The patients have overtaken the asylum.
    Keep working, many taxes are needed to pay for this crap!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• It was just another sorry blow committed by the Dictator wannabe
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Kudos to Judge Roberts
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• "Basically, I got from this~ Roberts feels Obama lacks the decorum to understand there is a time and place for certain things. And Obama using the SOTU as his pulpit to preach to them KNOWING they couldn't show emotion was troubling.. <-- I AGREE!"

____________________________

Isn't that what bullys do? Next year, Sotomayor may be sitting alone! hahaha.
    360

Answer by 360 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with Judge Roberts.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2010