hateful mother, kids are friends

My kid and my neighbor's kid are good friends, but I cannot STAND the mom. She lies constantly about everything, including "she stole this from me" and damaging lies. She messes with people's relationships by telling another friend's boyfriend that she was with someone else (she wasn't), she calls the cops on people over lies and causes real trouble, she slaps her baby all the time and wonders why her daughter hits, she never cleans her house or washes up, she acts basically like a 12 year old girl every day (she is in her 20s) with vicious text messages insulting my 18 month old daughter calling her fat and ugly and stupid. We both like the same guy and she has threatened to call the police on me for doing drugs all the time and stealing money from her to pay for the drugs (fully untrue). I just want us to act like adults so our kids can play at the park, but she is incapable of even pretending to be a grownup. Ideas?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 7:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Those type of people are not worth the effort. I would just stop talking to her. Stop hanging around her. Even if I had to stop my child from playing with her child. I do not need the stress.

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• your child is really too young to know the difference of wether the little girl is in her life or not. I would stop associating with her.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• At first I thought that you could just tolerate her and let the children play, but as I read on she sounds lethal and crazy. It seems a shame that her children should suffer by losing friends because of her, but it doesn't sound as though being around her is a safe thing for your children either. Perhaps you can limit your connection with her down to nothing if you can arrange it, and only have all of the children play only at your place. If you notice her children behaving as though you really don't like them and being around them is bad for your children, then you'll need to start backing them away from playing with them. Arrange other activities when they would usually play together, for example. But meanwhile you may well be her children's model for the way a mom should be.

Answer by Bmat at 7:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Women like this are like the plague. I would not allow my children around them and they wouldn't be around my children (after I whipped her ass for talking about my 18 month old. Your chid is also learning this crazy womans behavior is acceptable.
    tatpiercedmom2

Answer by tatpiercedmom2 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• jmo me personally I wouldn't date a guy who has a girl like her after him too, she'll never stop going after him.

I'd gather with her if you feel obligated to (at 18mos your lo really doesn't know that a specific playmate is missing just that a playmate is with her at somepoint), but I'd gather with a known group of people. In other words. have people you know you can count on to be witnesses to tell the truth of how she is if she hurts her baby or hurts you to make a statement of truth as to what happened.

She sounds vindictive, no matter what breathe long and slow every second you're with her if you feel you must be. Don't get angry STAY CALM. Busy yourself with your baby not with her or her baby. Watch your own back cuz she aint' gonna watch it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would also ask Department of Children and Families to investigate her for possible child abuse. If she is slapping her child that is bad! Also it sounds like she may be mentally unstable and this too could definately spell disaster for her child. Do something about it , it can be an anonymous phone call. You would feel terrible if something happened and you did nothing to try and intervene!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 10:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010