do you wash all new clothing before putting it on your newborn?

is this a big deal? i have washed all of the NB-3 mos clothes so far... just wondering if I should wash alllll the clothes I have for him so far. Does it only matter when they are NB bc they are so sensitive? What about a 1 year old? Still washing everything first??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NB- with my son, no. with my daughter, yes because I was bored and so excited be having a girl LOL

new clothes now - nope, just take the tag off and on it goes most of the time since they are excited by the new clothes (2 1/2 & 4 BTW)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I asked my mother in law to do it (well she offered) but I washed everything until he was about 6 months old then I just pulled the tags off and put it on!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• There was a time that I didn't wash any of our new clothes because I felt like, since they were "new", they were "clean". Then I saw a report about a teenage boy that had not washed jeans that he had bought and he broke out in some kind of nasty rash that turned into a nasty infection. That got me thinking! Most of our clothes these days are imported. The fabrics are treated with not only "sizing", but may also be treated with other chemicals so that they do not pick up parasites, pests, rodents, and such during their journey from what ever country they are coming from and our home.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The other thing that has made me wash all my families clothes is when I started thinking about where the clothes travel through to get to us. They start out in a potentially dirty factory, are then packed and shipped in large containers (probably on large ships since they mostly come from over seas). Then they go through who knows how many warehouse and probably a couple of semi trucks. Then they are unloaded in dirty loading docks at the backs of big stores. Then the staff handles them. Then every one walking through the store touches them as they shop. I have also seen a fair amount of clothes knocked off a store rack, laying in the floor, only to be placed right back on the rack.

In my opinion all clothes should be washed before being worn. Too many places- too many dirty hands- too many chemicals.
    VeronicaLee

• http://home.howstuffworks.com/question470.htm

Also try to google: "rash from new unwashed clothes".
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I wash all of our clothes before we wear them. You don't know where they have been, how they were stored, who has handled them, or has tried them on before you wear them. Not to mention there are a lot of sick minded people out there doing God only knows what in dressing rooms.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I do, even for mine & my SO's clothes. He works in a warehouse for a retail store, I know how the clothes/merchandise is handled - it's gross.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Wash all the newborn clothes in free & clear or baby detergent just in case. After that, you should still wash clothes before you wear them (even for adults...I've worked in receiving at a department store, and clothes STINK just coming off the truck, and that's brand new...I wouldn't want that on mine or my kids' bodies), but you can play it by ear as far as detergent. We stopped using special detergent when my son was a few months old because it didn't bother him. But we still have to use free & clear detergent or my daughter's sensitive skin; she'll get a rash if clothes aren't washed before they touch her or if they're washed in scented detergent.

I found the easiest thing to be to wash as we went. I washed all the newborn clothes before baby came, and then I'd wash bigger clothes as they grew into them. That way I didn't have to wash them twice -- new and after they'd been sitting for months.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I always did due to my kid's being super sensitive to the stuff they put in/on fabric. They'd break out in a rash if I didn't. Not so much with the girls now but the 14 yr old boy kid...still have to wash anything new before he wears it or it will make him itch.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Never washed the clothes! I did wash used stuff that I got.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010