My 16 month old has very mushy stick to his bottom. I was told a *healthy* poop is one that rolls off the diaper?

He is dairy intolerant and drinks coconut milk supplemented with calcuim and vitamin D. He is also on proboitics to help with digestion but we still cannot achieve a formed diaper. Just curious if others have this type of poop maybe it is normal?

morrisonkm9

Asked by morrisonkm9 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That sounds fine to me, My son had alot of stick to the diaper ones. Mainly because he would mush it in before I found out he was stinky.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my kids rarely had roll off the diaper poos. i actually wonder if they have enough fiber and water in their diets when this happens. how old of a child are you talking about?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My kids rarely had hard enough poop for it to roll off the diaper. My kids get plenty of water and fiber. I have never heard of this before. Hmmm...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my dd doesn't have it rolling off anywhere. its soft like peanut butter. She's almost 20 months and still bf though. I don't think dry hard poop is healthy at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• We moms spend entirely too much time discussing poop! (I'm guilty of it too..) Texture is going to be dependent on what the child eats. Ideally, poop should be soft (to make it easier to pass) but not totally watery. Soft will often be sticky and messy. If the poop if very watery, add more "binding" foods like cheese, bananas, grains. If it is hard (and really does roll off the diaper easily), a little more fruit/water is probably a good idea. Otherwise, you're doing just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone! I dont mean that a hard poop is good but one that is formed and not everywhere. I think because he doesnt have dairy this maybe why?!
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• my almost 14 month old has poop that doesn't roll off the diaper but it's not super mushy either. I can turn his diaper over and have to shake it to get it to come off but it does come off in one piece. He doesn't have much diary either but he eats like a horse.
    Anonymous

• my kids don't do much dairy, we don't do milk and we don't do milk substitutes. the probiotics would probably prevent a formed poo. i think your lo sounds perfectly healthy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• thanks everyone! Maybe it is healthy and everyone elses perception of healthy is wrong?! I dunno....I am sure the no dairy does affect the texture of it. So do you guys see food pieces in the diapers too?
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2010