Should the use of car seat laws apply to taxis too?

I see babies on mom's lap in the back seat of taxis all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Buses - No seat belts at all.
    Air planes - to use the carseat you would have to buy another seat, that is why they make it an up to you thing.
    Also, sorry to say but if an airplane goes down it is not going ot make much of a differance if your child is in one or not.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• YOu can get a ticket for it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Absolutely!
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 8:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• How about public buses or planes? On planes they are optional.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• "quot;sorry to say but if an airplane goes down it is not going ot make much of a difference if your child is in one or not"

That's not true. Many times when plane crashes, the find baby's still in their car seat alive & not too banged up. They are strapped down better to the seat than the adults & less likely to flail around & get knocked around. Just an FYI...always use a car seat on a plane if you can!

It is up to the passenger to bring a car seat for a cab ride. It is not the taxi drivers responsibility.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• To the first poster, I don't know where you can get a ticket for that but here in Chicago it is perfectly legal to NOT use a car seat. Do you live in a big city? Because it is completely unrealistic to bring a car seat every time you are in a cab, think about it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• IT is not illegal here...I always thought you HAD to have a car seat..but when my car was snowed in all i had was my infant seat and a taxi cab that wasnt willing to wait..So we go in and he took off before i could even buckle us in properly.I put my 3 year old in the back of the van and strapped her in...CRAZY driving mad taxi man drove us into a snow pile...it was right after the big snow storm our power had been out for 2 days and I was tired of being in a cold home :(
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with newmomma. I couldn't imagine hauling a car seat all over a city so I could use it in a cab. Can you imagine carrying a car seat, a baby, a diaper bag and holding a toddler's hand while walking several blocks?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Yes they should!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• absolutely!! !

it should be a law to require a child seat in a vehicle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010