Can anyone give me some suggestions?

My son is 8 1/2 months old and he still wakes up twice every night to eat. Is there something I can do to help him sleep through the night?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 8:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be patient

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Try giving him oatmeal or rice cereal before giving him a bedtime bottle. I know my babies always slept so much better with a litte something on their stomach.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 8:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Give him a big bowl of Whole wheat oatmeal before bed. That is what we do. They sell it inthe baby area at the store. Right next to the other baby oatmeals. It is gerber/

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• That's right, Mrs. Owen! Just what I was talking about! :) I couldn't remember if it was Gerber or Beechnut.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• LOL I haven't heard of beechnut as long as I have know Gerber so that is what I stick with. The Whole Wheat sits on our daughters tummy so much longer, SHe passes out for 8 hours
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Feeding cereal is not likely to make a baby sleep long. Cereal especially can really back fire on you especially if you formula feed because of the iron in rice cereal can cause gass and constipation and a bellyache -- so beware. Oatmeal would be the better option. However, this is near to the age of a MAJOR growth spurt. So you don't want to stuff up a baby with fillers right now. Extra formula is needed and babies are going to wake up. It's normal, really. Even us adults wake up at least once to pee or to turn over or for thirst. Babies wake because of teething pain, growth spurts, a major milestone they've redached recently, etc..

You can encourage more formula feeds during the day to see if that helps cut down one wake (though if baby is sleeping five hours that is considered a sleep through!) Sometimes babies get distracted with things during the day and may not eat as much as they would
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• the more he eats during the day matters... ive been feeding my baby more solids, little snacks and hes been sleeping 6-8 hours straight instead of his 3-4 hours he used to do
    mandie_jean

Answer by mandie_jean at 8:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• just stop feeding him in the middle of the night. he will stop waking up after he realizes he's not getting a bottle anymore. by 6mo they are able to sleep all night. and 2 out of 3 of my babies were bf and they are supposed to wake more frequently..... i just stopped the night feedings at 6 mo with all of them and they stopped waking up after 2 or 3 nights
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2010