my son has a speech problen and it is so hard for him to make friends, is there anymoms out there that can help me?

joishpeming

Asked by joishpeming at 9:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can he go to a grammar school? Or a speech therapist? My husbands cousin had a speech problem and that helped her. IDK why people are so mean, My best friend in Jr High had one and I still loved her to death,

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Does he get speech at school? My DD has a speech delay from being hearing impaired. I decided I would move to the country and have her go to the same school for her whole childhood.(clicks start early) That way she already made friends with the other children before they became mean and judgemental about her speech and hearing aids. I could care less about fitting in but when your little fitting in means so much and can make or break your childhood (sad I know) She started pre-k here and is now in 2nd grade she is very popular and as far as I know no one makes fun of her. Country living is not for everyone, but people are more kind out here and its a help your neighbor kinda atmosphere. Maybe try some after school activites or sports they really help with making friends.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My daughter was in speech therapy through the school for 5 years with virtually no progress and was at the point that kids were starting to pick on her. I contacted a local university who connected me to a program/clinic through the university and after one single semester my daughter no longer needs speech. It was AMAZING! They did in 6 months what 5 yrs a school system could not. I would suggest hiring a private tutor or calling a local college/university. The only way to handle the situation is to get aggressive and get it fixed.
    Anonymous