Do homeschool families get financing from the School District?

Time, effort, school supplies. How do families manage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, but most of the curriculum I use I get free from the internet. You can also get lots of used curriculum from ebay, and www.homeschoolclassifieds.com as well as other places. I buy my school supplies when everyone else does, late summer, when all the stores put them on sale. I stock up on notebooks, crayons, paper, etc. when it's ridiculously cheap. Homeschooling can even be free if you want it to be. The internet is full of free resources and there is always the public library.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No. We depend on sharing and other free resource options. The money and time we do spend is an investment.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No. Nor should they.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No. We still pay taxes like anyone else. So we are paying for the public school and our own. The cost of homeschooling could be anywhere from just a few hundred dollars up to $2000 depending on what you use for cirriculum.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have links to a lot of free internet resources. If you're interested, just PM me.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No we do not. We pay for everything we need out of our own pockets, none of which is eligible for tax deductions. We share resources with other families, scrimp and save, watch for sales, and ask for educational purchases for birthdays and Christmas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• In addition, I belong to a local homeschooling group, and we share books and supplies with each other which saves money.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Not that I know of. Some school districts allow some sports/music involvement. I understand in remote areas like Alaska the public school system is available on line tax paid just because of accessiblity issues. Our school system is reluctant to offer much of anything. Our neighboring one is much more interactive with homeschooling parents. You might want to check with your school district and see what the requirements are. In our state parental involvement is regulated pretty strictly. You might see if they offer loaner textbooks since your child would have had to have them anyway (you'll still need to aquire teacher's editions), if there's a need for curriculum review by the school district, manditory testing, age related physicals, and if you need to hire an evaluator. If you know of any local homeschooling parents pick their brains as well. Support groups are great, as is the possibility of cooperative education
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• No, and they shouldn't. Taxes pay for Public School, but if you make the choice not to take advantage of that system, that's your choice... However, in most states Public Schools are required to allow local home schooled kids to be in the band or on school sponsored teams, attend proms and parties... Because the kids are still considered to be a part of that school system, even if they are home schooled...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2010