What are a few essentials for taking a 18month old on a plane?

We are flying tomorrow on a 3 hour trip. Any advice from those who have done this successfully would be appreciated! :D

tiffani_qt2001

Asked by tiffani_qt2001 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have traveled a couple of times with our small kids. The one and only thing I would recommend taking is a portable dvd player or a laptop with movies. That was a life saver on the plane. We brought all kinds of things and that was the only thing they were interested in. Or an ipod works well to distract them too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Anything he/she uses for comfort like a blanky or stuffed toy. Books (limit to 2-3 smaller ones for weight), fav toys and snacks. They have juice on the plane but you can bring a sippy if needed. Thy will test it. Extra wipes and diapers if they're anything like my dd, flying makes her poo. At this age looking out the window is exciting and just playing simple peekaboo games is fun. Try to have your toddler awake a little while prior to flying so they'll nap half the flight! The best wayto avoid screaming is keeping them occupied or asleep. Remember, people can be rude so ignore any rude comments!!! I can't tell you how many times I got comments of "oh great!!! A BABY!" you can go on earlier for extra time getting seated which I always found helpful. Have a good
    flight!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Earplugs. Also take chewy food as it helps them with adjusting to air pressure. Which is often why children scream throughout flights as their ears are hurting. Of course you will need to take something to amuse them.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 10:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• 3 hours! your so lucky lol I fly from MD to cali all the time :( aaaaaah lol

Most likely your child will sleep and you will be over packed with stuff you didnt use lol...My children are 1 and 3.
    Gerber puff or gerber fruit strips(for take off its chewy)
    New NON noisy toy that have never seen.
    Juice box to suck on while you take off(or sippy cup)
    you can take milk anything child related pretty much they just check it..ALSO call the airline to make sure..but i have never had an issue bringing lactade or flavored water and sippy cups or pre made bottles

good luck
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Snacks and a lot of entertaining toys :) I haven't taken my son on an airplane but we have done a 3 hr car ride...its hard on lil ones but if you can get up and move at any point be sure to let your lil one move. We had to take 2 stops there and two stops back to let my son out of his seat to walk around. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2010