My son is 8 months n he has 8 teeth already. He likes 2 grind them n chew on EVERYTHING! Somehow, he chipped one of his tip teeth n I hadn't noticed. it started hurting when I breastfed him oneday n I jus thought it was b/c he had a gap btw his front 2 teeth. I actually ckd n I have a little cut on my left breast. Last night it started bleeding real bad while I fed. I need advice on how 2 keep breastfeeding w/o the pain n bleeding. Please help

Can a dentist fix the chipped tooth or am I doomed?

LoveMyJellyBean

Asked by LoveMyJellyBean at 9:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, I don't think there is much they can do to repair a chip, but they may be able to grind down the sharp point so it doesn't cut you again.
    As to the cut on your breast, I had a couple of those when my kids bit me. I tried everything to get it to heal. The only thing that ever worked for me was chapstcik. It sounds weird, but it worked for me. I used the Chapstick brand Moisture formula. I would just rub it on the dry nipple after I was done feeding.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'd absolutely bring him to the dentist. Unfortunately, they will likely sedate your LO for dental work at such a young age, but if you leave it alone, it'll be more prone to cavities.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• they sell numbing stuff for nursing mom's in a store, i cant remember where i get mine from but thats for chapped nipples, maybe that would work for your cut too??...its not harmful.

you could see a dentist or you could let him live with it till it falls out into his permenet teeth.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If he's chewing enough to chip his teeth, he may need some tylenol and/or motrin (or at least Hyland's teething tablets). He is apparently trying to ease the pressure. Eight teeth at 8 months IMO is a lot. My son had 1-2 at that point. If you help ease the pain & pressure of it all, he MIGHT be less likely to chew to the point of chipping his teeth. I am going to assume that you give him plenty of teethers and things to chew on, like wet washrags, etc.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Go to www.kellymom.com to get some information about position when feeding a baby that has teeth. I can't remember exactly what it says because I haven't had to deal with this in a while but basically older babies get lazy and you need to position him a certain way to keep his teeth from bothering you.

You shouldn't be feeling his teeth at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Wow...that's awful. I would just wean him and get some bottles. And see a Dentist? I gues they can do something with his tooth. But it is a baby tooth,you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The dentist most likely wouldn't do anything for the tooth, maybe grind it down if you persisted. We had a two year old fall on the sidewalk at daycare and she really chipped her front tooth. He dentist didn't do anything since it was a baby tooth. I would also check out Kellymom for some info for nursing.
    Anonymous

• I took some of ur advice n he has a dentist appt tomorrow. The lady sd they will probably grind it down a little 2 get rid of the sharp edGes. Thanks guys.. I'll let u kno how it goes..
    LoveMyJellyBean

Answer by LoveMyJellyBean at 2:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2010