Is Daycare a luxury or a right?

This is in reference to a question about SAHM's being a luxury or a right. Many women stated that it's a luxury to stay home. I had to quit work because daycare was too expensive. Now, I raise my son and skimp on the extras. If I wanted to go back to work F/T, I would more than likely have to go through the state for assistance with childcare. Is that a privilege or a right?

Rayray1976

Asked by Rayray1976 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• This question doesn't make sense. Some view staying at home as a luxury because they are single moms and staying home isn't an option or they feel they can't afford to stay at home...hence it being a luxury. Daycare would not be thought of in the same light. Daycare a luxury? It's a luxury to have to leave your kids at an institutional setting 5 days a week so you can go work you tale off for an employer? Or a right? It's your right to have children only to dump them off at daycare? I'm sorry, but your reasoning makes no sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• What's a NECESSITY?
    Rayray1976

Answer by Rayray1976 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Do whatever you have to do to provide for your family. Daycare is not a right or a luxury. It's one option.

I work and pay full-price for daycare. If I stayed home I wouldn't pay for daycare, but my family would be poorer. If that's not your situation then your solution would be different. If you are going to receive aid either way, then I'd say go with the one that results in the least aid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Just HAVING children is a privlege!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I have not a problem with a mom decides to stay at home, or chooses to work. But the original question I'm referring to is "Do you think being a SAHM is a luxury or a right of every mother?"
    Some of the answers were harsh, in essence saying "don't rely on the state, or my money to raise your children. Get off your butt and work". Where I live, daycare is $300+ weekly, and that to me is a luxury. I know many women who had to go through the state to prorate their daycare just so they could afford to work, so they could afford to live.
    Rayray1976

Answer by Rayray1976 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would be broke if I wasnt a stay at home mama...Some people need to work and some people want to work...Staying at home is not a luxury for me lol..its my right..and its a moms right to work if she wants to....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I cant afford to stay home, but since im not done with school i dont make enough to pay full price for daycare and have no family to help. So i get part time daycare assistance. So i bring home enough to make working worth it. If i had to pay for daycare i would be working for gas money and daycare fees! I dont feel i had the "right" to get the aid or that it was owed to me. But i appreciate it, and am thankful that such thing exists.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Should be a last resort!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I agree with these answers, and I think that's why the original question I referred to and many of the posted answers got to me. It seems to me, from personal experience and observation, that it's more the lesser of two evils, and not much of a choice of luxury. For me, I quit work and that's the way we made ends meet. I don't remember feeling a sense of elation because I knew it was less of a voluntary choice and more of a sacrifice, just as work had been at one time. If I had more leverage in my choices, maybe I would have felt happier, or like I was living in the lap of luxury. And, I guess my point was, in my situation, daycare was/is more of a luxury. For many women, they mush have the assistance to be able to work. Like the pp stated, it's more of a matter of gratitude and less of sense of entitlement. BTW my husband and I make too much money combined to qualify for assistance and we rely, solely, on his paycheck now.
    Rayray1976

Answer by Rayray1976 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• If I worked 3/4 of the money I made would go towards daycare. And we'd have to purchase another vehicle. And then there's the gas money. So how would i be ahead by working? I wouldnt. I wouldn't make enough to make it worth it. We benefit more from me staying home then working. The only way it would get us ahead was if I had free daycare or at least drastically reduced price.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010