WWYD if your kid...

came up to you and said mommy I want to be a girl (if you have a boy)? Would it matter if he was 3 or 13 or 23?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well that is quite a broad question. It really does depend on what age your child says that. For example at age three would probably not happen as really I don't think they distinguish the difference at that stage. Life for them is about how much they can stick into their mouths, noses etc. So IF that did come up at age 3 I would just tell the child he is a boy and that is that. AT age 13 - well maybe some counseling would be appropriate. By 13 I would say a childs sexual inclination is quite cemented already. So yeah. As a parent it might be hard to accept, personally If it were my son I would be supportive of him no matter what. I would do my best to involve him in support groups etc At age 23- well your "child" is old enough to make their own decisions , again I would suggest support groups etc but ultimately it is their choice.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I would let me child do/become whatever he is most comfortable with. I would rather support him then having him go thru something like that alone which would lead to depression which could lead to suicide. I have never been and will never be one to judge. To each his own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My child is my child and I will love him/her no matter where life takes them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• when they're little nothing. My 2 yo wanted to be a puppy. However once they are more cognitive about the differences and can make better rational choices after the initial shock nothing. I except my kids unconditionally.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• sorry meant to type accept.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• My son said that to me when he was about 8 years old. I was stunned. But then I rememebered...this is "my" son I was talking to here,lol. So I simply asked, "well, what makes you feel that way"? And he told me its because girls don't have to fight. And thats when I found out he was being bullied by some kids up at the school yard. So..sometimes what they say doesnt always mean what it sounds like.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2010