Birthing Shows

I let my 2 year old daughter watch the birth shows on tv if I am watching them. She seems to love them, she gets sooooo excited everytime she sees the baby being born and getting cleaned. She says "Aww mommy, tiny baby sooo cute." Well my in laws are furious that I allow my daughter to watch this "trash." Umm...the way I see it, labor is a natural part of life, and well gee...thats how my daughter came into the world...so why is it "trash" or why do the in laws veiw it as inappropriate? Maybe I am crazy, but I see nothing wrong with my daughter watching these shows. What is your opinion?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think your inlaws are uptight cows! I think birth is part of life and that the more your baby knows about it the better prepared she will be when she has kids. I wouldn't worry and I would keep watching the shows...

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. Some ppl like to keep the way a baby is born hush hush, especially older ppl...its your daughter you can allow her to watch whatever you'd like her to watch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• The only thing I have a problem with is that it is programming her that the interventions being imposed on these woman are in some way normal or acceptable. THAT is my issue.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Wow, they would have major issues with me and what I let my son watch...at 3, he watched Lake Placid, Blair Withc Project, Predator, Mars Attacks, etc. Not the same genre, but, still not what most people would allow their children to watch. He also watched the birthing shows with me too. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Well their main arguements are 1.They use "dirty" words like vagina, penis, and vaginal fluid. and 2. They sometimes show "too much" of the birthing mother, and the naked baby. Ummm...my daughter sees naked people all the time. Herself in the bath, mommy getting dressed, her little cousin Ryan getting changed...they act like it is taboo to see anyone naked. And yes, they are uptight cows haha. They drive me INSANE, and Im stuck living with them!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Who knew that Vagina and penis were dirty words? You learn something new everyday...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I dont know what is wrong with a child watching something that is natural.. Thats like not wanting a child seeing your nurse.. Or even go to the restroom! LOL.. its nasty to think of but most moms dont go to the restroom in peace for a good 4yrs or so. lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2010