Breastfeeding moms...would you have a problem with your child playing with an empty formula can?

I am a preschool teacher in a class room for ages 6-18 months. My lesson plans called for coffee can painting yesterday but I didn't have any coffee cans so I called my sister and asked her if I could have some of her empty formula cans to use.

I cleaned them throughly inside and out, wrapped them witth colorful paper, put the paint and inside, put the marbles inside, then securely sealed them so they could not be opened.

A mom picking up her son became very angry when she saw the cans on the counter. She asked if the children had played with them. I said yes. She told me that it was inappropriate, that a baby could get sick and that and that she didn't appreciate her breastfed baby playing with them.

Now I'm very pro-BF. My 2 kids have both been EBF. My 8 m. old played with the cans too.

We used babyfood jars too but she didn't freak about that.

Am I missing something? Did I REALLY do something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, that mom is a whackadoo.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• In her eyes, apparently.

I personally do not like to have to explain to my children what is in those horrible little cans, or why some unfortunate babies get bottles, but I can not control everything they come in contact with. Yeah, she overreacted a bit. BUT, having been on her side of the fence, as attacked as most of us are because we are exercising our RIGHT to feed our children as they should be, formula in any way, shape, or form can be offensive.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Umm, no. She's a wackadoo and it taking the EBF thing a bit far. There is absolutely no science behind her claim of the possibility of her child getting sick from playing with a washed out formula can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I'm confused, were the babies painting the cans?  Where did the marbels come in?

Anonymous

• Anon :12

We put a piece of paper, marbles and paint inside the can. Then seal it. The babies play with it and the marbles move the paint around to paint the picture. That way little babies can paint without the mess or the risk of them eating it. LOL.

I've done this before with coffee cans and like I said the lesson plans called for coffee cans but we don't really drink coffee and I don't know anyone who does so I used the formula cans instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I don't like coffee. Can I throw a fit if you do use coffee cans next time? Babies shouldn't be drinking coffee ya know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You did nothing wrong. If you do this with them again let her know so she can bring a can that won't offend her.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

That's a good idea. Maybe I can send a note home asking for donations for special projects. Then put a list of things that will be used instead if donations are not provded that way the parent is aware so if it's something that really bothers them they can provide something else for the child.

I mean the things I have to bring to school have to come out of my pocket so I try to find things that are free or cost very little when I just absolutely need something that we don't have in the supply room at work. I couldn't afford to go buy 4 cans of coffee and waste the coffee so I could do the project. We didn't have anything that was similar to a coffee can in the supply room so I had to go with what I could find.

Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• She totally overreacted. As long as you weren't feeding my baby formula, I wouldn't care what you did with the cans.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• That is stupidest thing I ever hear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2010