Why do you think people go into some sort of shock when they are told someone passed away even though we know we are ALL going to die oneday?

We act as though they will never leave us I mean we don't want our loveones to leave us but that is part of life and we will see them again in heaven.

I just hate that "shock" feeling

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because you don't expect it. My dad died when he was 53 years old (I was 33). He was a diabetic from age 10 and yes, I knew that the day would come that he would die. I always thought it would be his diabetes (high or low blood sugar) that would kill him. I talked to him on Thanksgiving 2000, we talked about the following month & getting together for Christmas (he and his wife had just moved to KY from OH in Aug. and we were all looking forward to a visit) and he was fine. He died the next day from a massive heart attack. The shock was overwhelming and the grief, to this day, washes over me and makes my heart ache. Losing their grandfather so suddenly affected my sons in so many ways, they were so attched to him and were waiting to see him again. Every day is a gift with those you love because they could die in an instant, with NO warning.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• because it was unexpected. DUH..
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Shock? Well sort of. It is the nature of me to not really think about death. NOw that I am older 47 it seems like a lot of friends and family are leaving me. I try not to take so much stock in it. It seems to me that it is really difficult to grasp that you will never be able to talk to your person again.
    I lost my brother two years ago to suicide. He did not seem to understand that I still have stuff to talk to him about. Even though ours was not an especially close relationship I still have things. Ideas, sharing that I simply expected to be able to have him listen to for say about 30-40 more years. He wrecked my plans.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• We don't sit there and focus on death that's why. I think this question is insensetive to a point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• This is how serial killers think. Thats why they think it's okay to do so.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Some of us go into shock because it is unexpected.
    I lost my daughter when she was 7 years old! You do not think you are going to lose your own child. And I agree to anon 25 this is a very insenetive question
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• I guess it's because when it happens suddenly were weren't prepared for it to happen 'then'
    we always like to think that we'll have more time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• well out of personal experience MY mom had a stroke while out shopping with my neice and nephews and actually died in the store they were shopping at. Far as we knew and according to her doctor that she saw several days before MY mom was in perfect health. So yes I guess while every day we're alive we're one day closer to death but seriously this is the most f'ed up question I have ever seen on this board. So yes it was a total shock to all of us including my 4, 6 and 7 year old relatives that watched her die.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2010