sleep issues

If your child still wakes anywhere from 1 time to multiple times a night, for no known reason, either just crys for you or whines and won't go back to sleep without getting what he's asking for ex a washcloth or teddy bear or his blanket pulled up etc. what would you do? I've tried what seems like ALL the methods the past 5 months and it hasn't gotten better. they are NOT night terrors/ sometimes they are bad dreams and now I don't know if its habit. but even if it is habit, he will NOT go back to sleep.. he'll work himself up and scream for hours throwing himself all over his room.. I am at a loss. We got 4 hours of sleep last night.. and its not always this bad, sometimes its only where he wakes 1 time for alike 5 minutes.. would you take him to the Dr after this long of trying all the methods? or is there something else I can do ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want to respond because we've just been through this but I have to run. If you get a chance, send me a PM to remind me of the situation? If you don't, I won't be offended... but I'd be happy to share all the things we tried and what eventually worked (we think). I'm not saying what worked for us would work for you, but I know what it feels like to be at a loss for ideas...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• How old is he?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• OP:- he also doesn't seem that affected by not having much sleep.. like he doesn't need it or something. He's Not OVER crabby except when he first wakes up...... I've tried the letting him cry, the slowly sitting next to him and moving each night back til I am out the door.. Oh he's almost 2-1/2 by the way... I've tried explaining to him, taking things away, comforting him and consoling him, yelling, I don't know.. I am sad and worried and we are all exhausted...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• You could ask your child's doctor for a referral for a sleep study. Your child might have a sleep disorder. Even if he doesn't have a sleep disorder, you will have more information and a better idea of where to look next.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2010