Struggling with 3 yr old son!!!

I was put on complete bed rest 3 wks ago. This has been a struggle because I have a 3 yr old that is constantly on the move. After a few days it seemed like we had started a new routine... we played board games, played with his toys and read, also watched his favorite shows. We spent time together and kept him busy doing things while I can stay off my feet as much as possible. Although, in the last couple of days he has had this need to scream when he doesn't get his way... he wont pick up after play-times, and is constantly talking back. I try to disipline to the best of my abilities but I get tired and weak very fast. Plus, when I tell him that what he is doing is wrong and he needs to change his behavior he just repeats what I am telling him back to me... like im the one that is in trouble. I've never been a fan of spanking but have had to resort to it lately with no luck, time outs and taking privelages away havent helped.

dadkins89

Asked by dadkins89 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your child knows that he has you at a disadvantage, which makes it all the more important that you use this time as a valuable teaching experience for him. I'd have to know more about how you are spanking him, because I've always had good success with it, with my children and with my grandchildren. In order for it to be effective, you need to explain to him that his behavior is unacceptable in your home, and that you can no longer allow it. Then you tell him that from now on, he will be told once what he is to do or stop doing. If he does not immediately obey, he will be spanked--every time, no exceptions. I prefer to use an instrument for spanking, rather than my hands. I use a small plastic flyswatter that is very flexible. You want to spank him on his bare leg, just hard enough that he feels the sting of it. If he is a very strong-willed child, it will take a little more. Keep your swatter where he can see it, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• He might be scared , he's 3 & usually has his mommy to do more things with, now all of the sudden your always having to lay down.Try to put yourself in his head if you can it might help.I'm asuming you did much more with him when you could, mabee he needs some reasurance that you'll be back doing the old stuff in know time, but I'm not exactly sure how to tell a 3 yr old that.Good luck, I'm sure it will all come together just another phase mabee.4 is a doozy it can make 3 look great!..lol..
    Anonymous